Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What frame size is a model 10 ?

I know my 19 is a K frame and my 686 is a L frame. I just bought a model 10, haven't picked it up yet and wanted to know if it would fit some of the holsters I already have.

Thanks, Rick

·
Administrator
8,111 Posts
Nickel,
You are correct that the Model 10 is a K frame.

However, the K frame existed long before the Model 10 came about.

S&W started putting model numbers on their guns in 1957 I believe.. before that, they had names.

For instance, before it was called the Model 10, they were called the 38 M&P.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
I wouldn't say it is the "grandfather" of K-frames, but i would, however, go as far as to say that it is the "grand poobah" of K-frames!

Well, maybe not. Certainly one of the most popular and common.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Come on Rick... give us some good stuff... bbl length?
dash-?
blued?
nickel?
PICTURES?
:mrgreen:

·
Registered
19,828 Posts
Not to change the subject, or anything, but, F150 guy............ your avatare freaks me out everytime I see it!!! :eek: Bob

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK 150 guy,

I'm not smart enough for the pics. It's a 4 inch barrel, model 10-6, fixed sights and has uncle mikes rubber grips. I learned it came from a sheriffs department 1 county over from here, so it does show holster wear as its blued. Seems to have good timing and lock up tight.

I saw it on a local outdoor website. within an hour after I emailed the guy he delivered it to my house. I paid $250 for the gun and $25 for 500 rounds of 38 special brass, 100 of it has been primed. I have no idea what the brass is worth. However I feel the gun was a good buy.

Serial number is 6206X how old is it ?

Thanks, Rick

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Bob K and I...both members of FOBFA (Freaked Out By F150guy's Avatar).

·
Registered
239 Posts
Rick,

I'm running 'way late this morning but tonight I'll drag out my Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson and try to give you an approximate manufacturing date, if somebody more knowledgeable doesn't beat me to it.

Mark

·
Administrator
8,111 Posts
Rick,
That serial number would put it in the 1969-70 range. Likely closer to '70..

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
very nice find sir!

·
Registered
656 Posts
Can't be a K prefix as that was only used on adjustable sight models. M10s with letter prefixes all have a C or D and then D preceded by a number.

·
Administrator
8,111 Posts
SP,
I'm confused...
He stated it starts with a D, not a K. What am I missing? nvonjvila

·
Registered
239 Posts
Rick in IA. said:
On the bottom of the butt is D26310X Inside the crane its 6206x with no letter.
Rick, the number on the frame behind the crane is an assembly number and not a serial number. When we were new to S&W revolvers, many if not most of us assumed it was a serial number--I know I did.

·
Registered
239 Posts
carl418 said:
SP,
I'm confused...
He stated it starts with a D, not a K. What am I missing? nvonjvila
SaxonPig was correcting my previous post, in which I said the serial number would be preceded by a C or K.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts