Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally got this one out of layaway on 9/9/09.
It's a 4-screw no-dash model 10 snub. Serial Number is C5451** .
Seems to have some kind of packing grease around the crane and is going to need a thorough cleaning before I shoot it.
The grips aren't the prettiest but they do number to the gun.
No box or anything else but I did recently pick up this older S&W holster here on the forum that it looks pretty cool with.
So what do you guys think?
Can you help me narrow down the date of maufacture and approx value?

4th screw

No Dash

S&W holster

·
Registered
402 Posts
Wow...I say that you did great. That snubbie looks beautiful to me.
kfjdrfirii

·
Super Moderator
10,855 Posts
The serial number puts it between 1961 and 1962. I will let others chime in as to value. Great example, though.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Hi
In March 22,1948 S&W started a whole new serial Bank of numbers for the Previously Built M&P Revolvers beginning with The C-Prefix. These new serial Numbered M&P's had the Short Throw Style hammer's that were used in target Revolver's and they Ran The C-Prefix for the M&P Pre-10's from 1948-1967 when they again, changed the serial prefix to The Letter D-Prefix. I can not find any conclusive build dates around your serial number, but given the fact it is a 4 screw revolver, and model marked which tells me it came after 1957 I would say it was made around 1959-1962 Time span. The revolver Looks super clean for one of that vintage, so a conservative price of one similar in my area would run around $425.00 if one that Nice could be found. Regards, Hammerdown

·
Registered
9,504 Posts
First off, the model 10 snub nose is my favorite snubby and yours looks
really clean; which is to say - really nice.

I can understand the confusion on the year, as by serial number (and the 4th screw) it would appear to be a 1961 issue; 61 being the last year for the trigger guard screw.

But it is a model 10, no dash. The book says the 10-1 came out in 1959.

I'll bow to Drew (Sebago Son) on this one, if he checks in.

Hank

·
Super Moderator
8,955 Posts
That is a beauty, I was also questioning the serial number vs. dash. Drew?

I would think you could get between $400 to $500 depending on the day and place.

·
Registered
16 Posts
WFR: Nice snub nose. Gotta love those short barrel M&P's.

I have a RB, pre model 10, 4 screw, ser. # C 381xxx.

Regards:
Rod

·
Registered
347 Posts
That's a gorgeous revolver and the photographs are appealing.

I like the round butt diamond grips. Sharp looking!

Here's a ratty square butt I have around here with a serial number of C 308XXX

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
Smiths produced beginning around late 1959 began to see a very distinct improvement in the depth of polish and detail in finishing. These changes were I think, a result of several new, premium guns coming into the catalog at that time. Your gun seems to have a much richer finish than seen applied to Pre-10's, many of which seemed to end up with a variation of the post war "brushed" finish.

Also note that the stocks also have just a hint of the "ridge line" in the very top 'horn' section of the grip panel. Lastly the finish applied to the wood seems to be shellac fortified oil. These were largely 1950's details.

Lastly note that the Fishhook hammer is not used, instead the standard "service hammer" is in it's place. This pattern K-frame hammer replaced the fishhook in general use in the very late 1950's.

To me all of these things intuitively suggest a gun from the last half of 1959 through 1962 thereabouts. Only a letter will verify it's date for a certainty.

With regard to it being unusual, yes I agree that it's fit, finish and overall condition are far superior to what you would generally see coming out of a Copper's holster gun after 50 years of service. However the configuration is not that unusual for guns from this period. By 1950 or so the 2" guns all had round butts as a rule.

Fine addition to the collection Jim.... Congratulations!....

Drew

·
Registered
1,968 Posts

This was a Chicago Cop's carry gun when on desk duty. Mint inside with a perfect bore. Carried alot, shot very little.

·
Super Moderator
8,955 Posts
You guys stink! Now I have to have a M10 snubbie. Thanks a lot! hipnp weiweinp 95876yt

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
I think I'm moving to South Carolina. kfjdrfirii

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Cush said:
We could go hunting tomorrow!
When you have 2 feet of snow on the ground and it's -20 I'll remind you of the above statement again! :D

Drew, thanks for your input on the snubbie. Appreciated as always!

You two guys have a place to stay in SC whenever you get ready to come visit.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
mm6mm6, that's a fine looking revolver!
Nice case-hardening on the trigger & hammer.

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
WFR said:
You two guys have a place to stay in SC whenever you get ready to come visit.
Can we go Trout Fishing? :)

Man, too bad I'd have to go all that way to catch some nice fish..... sure wish I knew a good Maine Guide who'd take me.... :lol:

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Sebago Son said:

Man, too bad I'd have to go all that way to catch some nice fish..... sure wish I knew a good Maine Guide who'd take me.... :lol:
Hmmm, just can't think of where we could go...

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
Cush said:
Sebago Son said:

Hmmm, just can't think of where we could go...

Well Cush... you'd think in 5 years you'd have figured it out by now.... ;)

So'k.... got my own spots.....

:lol:

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Cush said:
I think I'm moveing to Maine

Nice pictures guys!

Drew, of course we would go trout fishing. It's be about an hour and a half from here in North Carolina but yup, we'd be doing some fishing!

·
Registered
497 Posts
WFR
The triple nine day was good luck indeed for you. You have a wonderful snub there. I agree with you, it looks great in the holster. Gonna carry it like that?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts