Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I've just gotten into the gun world and trained today, and bought my first home defense piece.

I loved the classic look of the Model 10 and the deep history it has.

I was interested in any basic info an experienced person could provide about the gun.

SN: CZL4XXX

10-14 on the inside of the gun when I open the barrel up.

The left side of the gun barrel says .38 S&W SPL. +P

And the trigger looks like it has some wear.

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Post Lock so it's a very recent gun
You can shoot any 38 Spl or 38 Spl +p in it. For home defense I like 38 spl + p jacketed or bonded hollowpoints . I like Underwood but there's a lot of good makers

Make sure you have the key for the lock- S&W can send you one.

Couple of drops of good quality gun oil in the works and a wipedown with a oiled rag will keep the gun in good condition.

Make sure you clean and oil the gun after a range session- they should have told you about maintenance at the gunshop- else there's a lot of vids on you tube.

Properly maintained, your great grandkids will be enjoying that piece- Great choice.

Last but not least- Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
That wear on the trigger is case hardening- it's supposed to look like that.

·
Premium Member
10,766 Posts
Specific questions? You can also search here for a wealth of information.
Welcome to the forum.

Reactions: jeepnut and Curt360

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
My oldest M&P- think of it as a pre-pre-pre Model 10. Shipped in April 1900. Still going strong after 120 years of use. (y) 😎

With its little brother- a C series Pre Mod 10 from 1953

·
Registered
22,069 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Dependable revolver. Congrats and enjoy!

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
Welcome from Northern Illinois..
A model 10 was my first handgun and the slippery slope began....
Hang on to your wallet it won't be your last.

·
Registered
68 Posts
The Smith & Wesson Model 10, previously known as the Smith & Wesson .38 Hand Ejector Model of 1899, the Smith & Wesson Military & Police or the Smith & Wesson Victory Model, is a K-frame revolver of worldwide popularity. In production since 1899, the Model 10 is a six-shot, .38 Special, double-action revolver with fixed sights. Over its long production run it has been available with barrel lengths of 2 in , 3 in, 4 in, 5 in, and 6 in. Barrels of 2.5 inches are also known to have been made for special contracts. Some 6,000,000 of the type have been produced over the years, making it the most popular handgun of the 20th century.

·
Registered
67 Posts

You're in good company with the S&W model 10.

Back in the early 70's I stood as a newly minted Probationary Patrolman. The Armorer told us that we had a choice of a S&W or a COLT "but no one here will choose the Colt".

Uh, ok. I was handed a new Model 10 with a 4" barrel and a handful of 158gr round nose lead bullets. Later I learned that those lead bullets had earned the name "widow maker" in reference to all of the police officers who were killed in the line of duty using those bullets. Four or 5 years later we "up graded" to 125gr jacket hollow points that we affectionately called "Remington Rose Petals" because of the brass jackets shape at the exposed lead of the bullet.

I carried the Model 10 in a Brauer Brothers flap holster on a Sam Browne harness gunbelt. Lots of brass to shine on a rig like that, snaps and buckles. My department didn't believe in speed loaders so our idea of a speed loader was a dual 6 round dump pouch. You would carefully put 6 rounds in the top and snap it shut. Then under the stress of a rapid reload you would snap open the bottom snap and 6 rounds would drop into your hand. It was a common prank for one of your buddies to creep up behind you, reach around to your ammo pouches and flip open the bottom snaps causing your 12 rounds to scatter on the sidewalk. This was usually done while you were in the process of trying to impress some badge bunny....of course.

Anyway, I bet my life on that revolver for a good number of years. I guess I still do.....That's my 3" barrel model 10 there in the picture.

Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
17,472 Posts
Welcome to the forum from NE Georgia. As said, the Model 10 has been around for years and is very dependable, accurate, and fun.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Welcome and congratulations on making a great choice for a home defense gun. It's as reliable a gun as you are likely to find in a caliber that is adequate but won't over penetrate as a .357 could. I bought a 10-14 and 10-10 LE trade ins that are fun to shoot and just feel right in my hand. With proper care yours will last a very long time. Good luck and enjoy it.
IMG_1455 (2).JPG

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
My 1965 model 10-5 is going to the range with me today. I love everything about the model 10, and it and my Model 18 will be with me when all the others have found new homes.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts