Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm new here and have searched for an answer to this question but haven't had much luck. So I've been thinking about getting a CCW and wanted a snub nose because reasons and have decided due to quality and CS concerns to buy a S&W. I wanted 38 special and a steel frame. I've narrowed it down to two choices: Model 640 or a Model 10. I'm leaning more towards the K frame snub for added control (I've been shooting for a while but just for recreation) and have found that snub Model 10's while not hugely expensive are just out of my current spending comfort zone. I've come across the police trade in revolvers and had a moment of clarity to just swap the barrel the on the trade in with a snub barrel. So I just want to make sure I've got everything correct here. I need to make sure if I buy a -6 revolver the barrel needs to be from a -6. I was going to have a gun smith do it because I don't have the proper tooling for it to make sure I don't screw it up, so is there anything I should be looking for in a gun smith? One guy quoted me around 30, does this seem low? Is the barrel swap even possible? I've been looking at Numrich parts at their barrel selection and the appear to be used slightly and wasn't sure if it was possible to safely and effectively use an second hand barrel in good condition, also don't want to make it into a gun that can't shoot strait. I'm trying to keep around 500-600 and this seemed like an effective way to do it. I live in a small rural area so I'm at the whim of Gun Broker and the like so it's hard to find decent deals on hand guns.

·
Premium Member
7,167 Posts
Reactions: TennSharpshooter

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good point I had forgot to mention the ejector rod. I have found the part needed for the shorter barrel.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I think it’s not outside the realm of possibility to find a snub 10 for 5-600. There’s a guy on gunbroker who couldn’t give his away for 400 he listed it 3 times. I think you could find one under budget. Try armslist as well.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sounds like consensus is don't build the gun and wait until I find the price I want. I appreciate the help.

·
Registered
12,706 Posts
$30 dollars seems low to swap barrels and to do it correctly. There are all sorts of issues that are LIKELY to be encountered. One is that when screwed in tight, the sight might not be at top dead center. Then the gunsmith would have to mill back part of the frame, add theads to the barrel and would have to cut the forcing cone end and establish a proper barrel cylinder gap. No way he would do all that for $30

·
Premium Member
10,809 Posts
Buy what you want and what you can evaluate in hand.

You may not be happy with what results from a project, including the delays and ultimate price.

A model 10 is a great revolver, and an older one in good condition is a good choice.

The different engineering changes do impact some of how parts interchange, and the amount of hand fitting involved.

Keep this simple, and with some shopping you'll find what you are looking for.

Welcome to the forum.

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
Just to throw a monkey wrench in the machine, it can be done. I'm comfortable working on my own stuff. These two both started out as long barrel guns with square butts. I bought used barrels from ebay and made tools to do it. Both shoot very well. Try to find one with a short barrel in your price range. Top is an Astra .44 magnum and bottom is an S&W 19-6.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I appreciate everyone's input, I looked online and found some very reasonable deals. One did catch my eye but the price seemed low and some oxidation was present but not easily seen. I emailed the seller and he just quoted his description without answering any of my questions. Thought I would show you guys at the risk of losing the gun to another member but it almost seems too good to be true.
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/855618643

·
Registered
23,200 Posts
It's cheap because it's modified & has no collector value (chopped hammer, aftermarket grips). Probably be a good carry gun but like any modified gun value drops. In the decades I owned a gunsmithing business I modified countless guns to make exactly what the customer wanted but always warned collector value will die. I have a few in my safe I made for myself & love them for the way they perform but understand they'll never be treasured by collectors.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Back in the day I swapped out barrels about as often as I swapped out pants. But it's much easier to look for and get what you want the first time. Maybe something like the 65.

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
I appreciate everyone's input, I looked online and found some very reasonable deals. One did catch my eye but the price seemed low and some oxidation was present but not easily seen. I emailed the seller and he just quoted his description without answering any of my questions. Thought I would show you guys at the risk of losing the gun to another member but it almost seems too good to be true.
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/855618643
Clyde,
If you want a K frame snub nose? BUY THAT ONE! That seller has a good feedback, and that would make a great EDC (every day carry). Buy it and try it like it. If you don't like the bobbed hammer, have it changed. That's way easier to change than the barrel. Try those grips. If you don't like them, new ones run less than $100, and that gun has no collector value even if it were original. Buy it, carry it and enjoy. You are in the game cheap.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts