Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a S&W model 10-6 with what appears to be a factory adjustable sight complete with braughman front ramp. The sight and its mounting are exactly like my model 19s of the same vintage ie 1964 or 1965 but the weapon is clearly marked 10-6 and chambered in the 38 Special cig as marked on the barrel. My first reaction was that a model 19 got wrongly stamped for model.

Need ANY information any of you have about this particular combination

See pics to verify I’m not crazy. I took the grips off because they were patch prentations and I will replace later with the correct wood grips

Attachments

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah I noticed the front sight was not machined as part of the barrel but but is using a pin but the rear sight is square even if it seems to can’t in the pic and the front tang of the rear sight and it’s pinned connection are an exact match to model 14 and a model 15, further there are no signs of machining on the frame on the blue which apeears original to include the area under the rear sight

·
Registered
4,921 Posts
I'll bet it's factory. The grooved rear sights were never contoured to the top strap like the pre war guns. They just built a model 15 on a frame stamped model 10. But looking at the front sight it looks to be an add on. Hard to tell from photos.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Neat item. Looks like modifications done after the gun left the factory. You could find out the original spec by requesting a letter and paying $75 but I would rather buy ammo.

·
Premium Member
4,351 Posts
welcome01to the forum from SE Indiana. I concur with what the folks said...just curious though
as to where you came across that 10-6..pawn shop, gun shop, on line, gun show?? If it's a good
shooter that's all that matters.

·
Registered
23,470 Posts
It's possible (but unlikely) it's factory. There were a few 10-6 chambered in .357 magnum (& 10-10 in .32 H&R magnum) & S&W did occasionally do custom orders. W/ a mill machine installing that rear sight isn't a big deal, nor is the front sight. I'd call Jinks to see & might even gamble the $75 to check for a rare one.

Reactions: Curt360

·
Registered
241 Posts
The front portion of the rear sight extends beyond the contoured scallop where the top strap meets the barrel so it has been added on "after the factory". I have never seen a factory installed adjustable sight on a S&W that looks like that. All in all, if its a good shooter and the price was right, what have you got to lose. Have fun and be safe.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Well worth the money

Irriguardless of who or where it was modified or made it believe it was well worth the $350.00 I paid for it. So it now rests with my other 40 some odd smith revolvers

Attachments

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.