Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alrighty folks, I am back with the second installment of my used model 10 is becoming much more of a pain than I ever thought possible. Today's installment includes the issue that when I bought my S&W 10-8 the front sight and front sight pin were broken off. I figured these would be two fairly easy parts to replace, however, per usual I was wrong. What I need yall's help with is one, where to find another front sight, I measured the front sight on another 10-8 and it appeared to be around the 0.170 inch height variety. the second thing i need some help with is where to find a front sight pin, I believe that I need a .055 x .50 inch front sight pin but I could be wrong on that, Lord knows I have been wrong before. I would like to find one that is as close to factory as possible but at this point I will take anything y'all got. Thanks in advance and much appreciated.

·
Registered
23,435 Posts
You can make the pin, I have on occasion. Just remember the leading end is slightly tapered & must be inserted from the left.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I ended up finding the pin, but I cant find a front sight anywhere, I could send it to a gunsmith to have a custom front sight made for it but that is rather expensive and I would prefer a cheaper alternative.

·
Registered
14,476 Posts
I think the barrel was not only swapped, but cut down too. The profile doesn't look quite right nor does the end look crowned from what I can see

·
Registered
23,435 Posts
I ended up finding the pin, but I cant find a front sight anywhere, I could send it to a gunsmith to have a custom front sight made for it but that is rather expensive and I would prefer a cheaper alternative.

If you're handy you could make one.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The muzzle is crowned but I do not know if it is original or not. So my question now is what to do next, do I send it off to a gunsmith to have a custom sight made, do I re-barrel it, or do I sell it. I really like the gun but shooting accurately is fairly difficult with no front sight. If anyone has any other options I am all ears. Event if I make the pin it will do me no good without a front sight.

·
Registered
23,435 Posts
Making a new front sight is cheaper than re-barreling. If I think of it (you could remind me) I'll go through my parts boxes tomorrow & see it I have a front sight.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
In pic #1 it looks like a crack in the frame and a "witness" mark on the barrel and frame. I'd look this over very carefully.
Good luck on your project. Oh, bty if you have access to a Dan Wesson sight blade it might be made to work.
Cliff

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Injunbro, that would be awesome and i would really appreciate it. I have tried some sights and on all of them the bottom round part that the pin goes through is too short, I have tried a .168 partridge sight from Brownells, a .170x.125 F/O sight from Dawson Precision and one other sight from Midway and all of the had the same problem of being too short.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey Cliff, I checked the frame to see if it was cracked and it was not. I am not sure why but both of those marks look considerably worse on the camera than what they actually are, nevertheless I am still going to be super careful should I ever be able to take this to the range.

·
Registered
23,435 Posts
Injunbro, that would be awesome and i would really appreciate it. I have tried some sights and on all of them the bottom round part that the pin goes through is too short, I have tried a .168 partridge sight from Brownells, a .170x.125 F/O sight from Dawson Precision and one other sight from Midway and all of the had the same problem of being too short.

I have 3 S&W take offs from when I added fire sights to something or other, they are: .18, .28 & .29. Want one?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts