Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,694 Posts
Are you sure the s/n is AD...... Not three letters?

It is a pinned barrel and they were eliminated in 1982 which is also when they started the 3-letter serial prefix. Can't tell if the grips are with the diamond. The diamond grips were eliminated in 1968.

Look under the extractor rod to see if there is an "N" on the flat part of the barrel; if so it was factory plated.

Now after seeing the food I have to go get a cookie. :D

·
Premium Member
11,694 Posts
oh....welcome to the forum.

welcome01

·
Premium Member
2,158 Posts
Hi Q T,

Welcome to the forum!

The "dash" number, 10- (dash) 7, indicates an engineering change, in this case the gas ring on the standard barrel model 10 was moved from the yoke to the cylinder. The 10-7 series started in 1977. The same change in the heavy barreld model 10 became the 10-8 series, same year.

Recheck your serial number. It should be three letters and four numerals. Your AD7 is probably ADT 3xxx. The ADT 3000 series stared in Jan 1984 and ran for several months.

K22 is right, the pinned barrel was eliminated in 1982 but S&W doesn't throw stuff away and unused pinned barrels can show up long after their "discontinued" date. During periods of transition from one change to another parts sometimes overlap. In the case of magnum guns, there are cases of pinned barrels appearing with non-recessed cylinders and vice versa. Just a case of not wasting the inventory on hand.

Look under the extractor rod to see if there is an "N" on the flat part of the barrel; if so it was factory plated.
Also check the back of the cylinder for an "N".

The model 10 was introduced in 1899 and is still being made today...millions have been made...so value is very subjective. An average starting price for one in decent condition is around $400 but condition, age and many other factors can be a plus or minus. Nickel finish, if factory original , can be a plus. Looks like your grips have been lacquered
Nice gun and a good shooter. I've owned and shot model 10's for over 50 years.

Two model 10's and a stainless model 64 - just a model 10 in stainless steel
model 10's.jpg

P. S. : Plate looks delish...makes me hungry :)

·
Premium Member
11,694 Posts
The value just went up. Have you confirmed the serial number?

·
Premium Member
7,168 Posts
If it's a 10-7 it has to have been born in 1977. The prefix and the serial # for that model and year would be 2D73XXX.

Reactions: Wiregrassguy

·
Premium Member
19,358 Posts
welcome01 to the forums from the Wiregrass! DING-DING! FlaRon is a winner!

·
Premium Member
19,358 Posts
The guys above have said about $400. I don't see any reason to dispute that. These are only the most produced revolvers in the world.

·
Premium Member
7,168 Posts
You have a bit of a mystery there qualitytym because if the 10-7 on the frame is correct it had to be made in 1977. If the serial # on the butt of the gun is correct then as Wiregrass said it was made in 1979 and should be a 10-8.

·
Premium Member
11,694 Posts
10-7's and 10-8's came out in the same year; 1977. 10-9's and 10-10's came out in 1988.

10-7 is a tapered barrel, 10-8 is a heavy barrel

Here is a 1983 10-7
14.  S&W 10-7.JPG

and a 1981 10-8
Model 10-8  2015-07-10 (1).JPG

Reactions: Wiregrassguy

·
Premium Member
11,694 Posts
I think you said it was a pinned barrel. Prob 1980. If the logo is moved from the sideplate to the left side of the frame - 1981.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts