Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, from what I have found so far three letter serial number prefixes starting with AB were manufactured between 1983-1988. In an appendix of the catalog I found ABA - ABD but the ABE's are missing? I just purchase a 10-7 in good condition with an ABE46xx serial number and wondered if there is any other way to track down anything about it? I know the model well having carried one as an aircrew member in the Army from the early 1970's - late 1980's.

·
Premium Member
20,120 Posts
Welcome to the forums from the Wiregrass! Most likely your gun was made in 1983. Sometimes we have to interpolate the alpha numeric serials by including missing alphas in with adjacent alphas. That is not always accurate. If you want to spend $100, you can get an historian's letter that will tell you the exact date.

Reactions: jonesy814

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you Guy, that's a good estimate. I will probably go for the History Letter after I have had time to fully inspect this pistol. I'll post some pics when I can. Thank you for your service. I was in country 1969-1970, retired Army aviator now. I also have an M&P 9 Shield, which is an amazing weapon compared to the tried and true Model 10. But the shield technology seems quite solid, even the 'Dupont Nylon' body. It is so easy to clean, I hit it after every session at the range. Given my vintage, I am not as rock solid as I was, so I got an Armalaser TR4g green laser. I wish I'd had that back in the day. This particular laser is a masterpiece to me, having worked with laser guided weapons before I retired. My guess is that eventually we will just aim our finger and something will fire!!! Cheers, mike

·
Registered
14,729 Posts
I have a 10-7 and a model 64-3. Both have a pinned barrel which was deleted some time in 1981. Both also were shipped in 1981 based on the serial numbers. The m64 has a 7D56xxx, and the m10 is 8D97xxx. If I recall correctly, they ran up into the 9D xxxxx range before switching to the 3 alpha prefix. Meanwhile, the L frames, which were new in 1981 started right off with the 3 letter prefix. S&W doesnt always make it easy to figure out your ship date, but Wiregrassguy has likely nailed it

·
Premium Member
20,120 Posts
MIke, as an army aviator, did you spend some time at Ft. Rucker?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts