Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi fellas first post here, I just bought this sweet 4 inch Model 10-5 at a Premier show. In my book it's a solid "Good" condition, though in reality it's more like a Fine. It pretty much hits my perfect ratio of EDC wear and tear + out-of-the-factory beauty, a combination that I love seeing at shows.

Okay enough amateur collector chat, I'm posting here because I'd like to know the approximate date this was manufactured, plus whatever else these markings may mean.
Serial Number C7670XX

IMG_0685.jpg
IMG_0695.jpg
IMG_0684.jpg

By the way, I took it out shooting the next day, it is excellent, still has a super tight action, and it seems like it's right on target.

Also, the guy claimed it belonged to a Fort Worth PD officer back when they carried revolvers, who knows if that's true, there are no big obvious PD engravings on it, I should really start interrogating my sellers and writing this stuff down, eh?. :p

·
Premium Member
2,158 Posts
1963-65...probably '65

Welcome to the forum. My duty 4" 10-5 new in the box, ser # C748xxx was issued 1 Feb 1965 and had no PD markings.
I had to pay $48 for it plus $12 for S&W handcuffs...$60, a weeks pay. Passed it on to my son when I retired.

The other numbers you mentioned are merely factory assembly numbers and have no significance.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Excellent information, thank you. This one was marked as $350, which is something like a week's pay, but I got it for $300 ;)
also, 1965? I will take care of it as if it was a month's pay

1 - 4 of 4 Posts