Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I am new to the forum, and wanted to post a question.
I just acquired a model 10-1. I did some digging, and found it was made in 1960.
Not to sound cheap, but, I really don't want to pay $90 to the historical society.
Does anyone do research as a hobby ? I just wanted to see if this was a former police issue.
Thanks for any help.

·
Premium Member
12,660 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Good choice in revolvers. It's a classic.

The only place with the records needed for such research is the S&W Historical Society. Typically, with any manufacturer, there is one set of manufacturing and sales records. When they are made available to researchers it's on a limited bases. I don't know for sure, but the original records are likely in digital form, and have probably not been digitized.

Reactions: jeepnut

·
Registered
14,476 Posts
Its would be pretty hard to tell unless stamped by the agency. A letter might show that it went to a distributor or gun shop who then sold it to the police, but the historical foundation wouldn't know who it was sold to after the distributor or shop. Also many small departments post requirements then have the officer buy their own

·
Registered
20,892 Posts
It certainly is not worth it, for a common-place revolver like a M-10. It would be.....only if if it were collectactible model. But, if you want to waste your money.....go ahead!!! Bob

1 - 5 of 5 Posts