Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I (now) have a Modal 60-7, serial number BKD63XX. I was wondering if someone could tell me when it was manufactured? Also i am confused on what ammo I could safely shoot in it. I was always told that these pistols could only handle standard velocity.38 rounds. However, I have seen in a couple of online sites that the 60-7 are treated to handle the +P rounds. Can anyone confirm that one way or the other? While I likely wouldn’t shoot many of them, in these days of ammunition shortages, I’d like to know I could use +P rounds safely.
in addition to the S/N, on the lower left side of the grip their are some additions numbers and characters. Maybe they mean something to someone, but I have no idea what they mean. On the left side ther is the numbers 49379, B7 and what looks like a hand stamped S.
On the right side is an F within a circle, with M21051 below it and a S within a triangle, with the numbers 127 below it.
Hopefully, someone can enlighten me about what the correct answer is on ammo use. i have to qualify annually with this pistol, and carry it most of the time when not working. Thanks.

·
Registered
17,602 Posts
Your 60-7 was shipped in 1991 probably. Serial number ranges kind of jump around in that period. The S within a triangle designates Stainless Steel I believe. Other stampings are assembly and inspection marks that have no known meaning once the gun leaves the factory. I don't know for sure about Plus P, so I won't comment on that

·
Premium Member
22,723 Posts
Welcome to the forums from the Wiregrass! Yes you can shoot +P. If you shoot a lot and feed a steady diet of +P, then it will eventually loosen up to the point you may need end shake bushings to restore barrel to cylinder gap. But, it won't explode. Sorta like you need to replace the shocks on your off-road vehicle as they wear. The rougher the terrain you frequent, the less life they have before you have to replace them.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Your 60-7 was shipped in 1991 probably. Serial number ranges kind of jump around in that period. The S within a triangle designates Stainless Steel I believe. Other stampings are assembly and inspection marks that have no known meaning once the gun leaves the factory. I don't know for sure about Plus P, so I won't comment on that
Thank you for the info.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Welcome to the forums from the Wiregrass! Yes you can shoot +P. If you shoot a lot and feed a steady diet of +P, then it will eventually loosen up to the point you may need end shake bushings to restore barrel to cylinder gap. But, it won't explode. Sorta like you need to replace the shocks on your off-road vehicle as they wear. The rougher the terrain you frequent, the less life they have before you have to replace them.
Thank you for the info. I have been told both ways. I don’t intend to shoot many of them, but I have always made sure not to load any +p loads as a safety precaution. I use the old FBI load of 158 grain LSWHP +P in my old service revolver (Modal13) and Remington 110 grain SJHP std load in the M60. Now I won’t worry about carrying different back up ammo.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts