Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, im looking at two guns the seller claims is mod15. Both are with 6" barrel and patridge sight and adjusteable rearsight. One is stamped mod15-1 or 15-4, it is hard to tell. and has serialnumber K472635. The other one has no modelmarking on the frame when cylinder is opened but is stamped only "V". Opposite, on yoke, is stamped "G". The only number seller finds is 26108. Wath am i looking at here? I have not seen the guns, only sprikende to Jim on the phone.
Norway.

·
Registered
6,974 Posts
Hey Barbaren,

Welcome to S&W.

There were a few Combat Masterpiece's made with a 6" barrel. They would have a ramped front sight. With the adjustable rear sight.

The 6" barrel with the Patridge front sight would be from a K 38. (Model 14)

Most Combat Masterpiece's came with a 4" barrel.

Hope this helps.

Later, Mark

Reactions: Oldgungeezer

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
None of the two is set up as a standard combat masterpiece. Is this a gunsmith setup and mix of moddels? Wich one should i gi for? The one with mod15 stamp is the most worn, but not much.

·
Registered
6,974 Posts
Hey B,

Hard to say. Can you examine them in person, first?

Check the lock up. Take a good bore light, and a magnifying glass along. Examine the "yoke".

Good luck.

Later, Mark

·
Premium Member
18,856 Posts
welcome01 to the forums from the Wiregrass! S&W stamps the serial number on the butt of the gun frame. On more recent models, they sometimes stamp the SN inside the yoke, but it should still be on the butt frame. The second gun's SN being 5 digits indicates that is an assembly number, not a serial number. If it is a Model 14 or 15, or a pre-model, the SN will start with a K or will have a K in the serial. Also, the Model 14 and 15 are target revolvers. They will have a Patridge or ramp front sight and an adjustable blade rear sight. We can help you better if you can post some pictures of the guns.

·
Premium Member
18,856 Posts
They both appear to be Model 14's. The barrels can be swapped, but I doubt those guns were modified. More likely, the 6" barrels were installed for export and the guns were marked MOD 15. I see pins for the barrels so, they can't be US MOD 15's. The barrel length was not increased in the US until after the pins were removed from manufacture. I don't know the gun laws for Norway. It may be that 4" guns are forbidden there so these were shipped with 6" barrels. Anyway, the MOD 14 and MOD 15 are nearly identical...the only difference for early manufacture was the barrel length. Either model will be an excellent shooter.

·
Registered
10,942 Posts
Only pictures i have Are on the shops webside: Håndvåpen - Brukte våpen og optikk | ABC Fritid
They look like target masterpieces, but one of Them is stamped mod 15. Is the barrels on mod 14 and 15 interchangable?
They are Target Masterpieces now. They may have started life with 4" barrels but were converted to 6". They both look to be four screw frames (4th being the one going in at the trigger guard). Both would be great target shooters.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No restrictions on barrel lenght in Norway, but you can't buy handguns for selfdefence only for target shooting. Ive got a mod71 beretta, Colt Python SN6906 DOB 1958, a CZ75, walther GSP .22 and .32. You van not have two guns that van be used in the same competition class unless you compete so much that you van claim the need of a backup.
Can a early model 15 compaire to a Python?

·
Premium Member
18,856 Posts
nfiofnp I'm sure someone will comment that the Colt's can't be beat. That's what you wanted to hear...right? ;)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
😃 Surely I would've posted it in the Colt forum if I was looking for that answer.😃 I think that these old guns are gold when it comes to gunsmithing. Handfitted everyone. But I'm not into Colt or S&W discussion. But Colt pythons interior impresses me. I've spent 5hrs correcting the timing.

·
Premium Member
18,856 Posts
You won't have that problem with a Smith. It takes them thousands of rounds to go out of time, mostly due to wear on the ratchet or hand.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
A Python can go thousands of rounds too. It was in timing when i got it, but i took it apart and cleaned it up good, and it got a bit out of timing. I guess a Python from 1958 is allowed to go out of timing. S&W go wrong too, but they don't get a reputation. The Python don't go out of timing suddently, it wears out of timing, it's not the gun that is a problem, it's the owner that don't know how to take care of it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for helping out with this, i hope i can use this to Get a good price. The one with the full SN is from 1962. I've mailed Them to Get the grips off and Get the real SN on the other and to Get a priceadjustment.

·
Premium Member
2,549 Posts
I've owned both at one time or another, and I'd rate them as about the same. The Python might have a little better finish, and it's chambered for the .357 Magnum, but as far as target shooting, it's six of one, and a half dozen of the other. People rave about triggers, but I can't tell a dimes worth of difference. A trigger is a trigger. I doubt I'd ever wear either one out.

·
Registered
9,504 Posts
Well if I shot like a machine rest, I might be able to say which was more accurate. I cannot claim that buying a Colt Python made me a better shot than I was with a model-27, same barrel length.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts