Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been trying to find, read up on and understand the serial number sequences for the J frame revolvers in an attempt to pin down when mine was made with no luck.

The serial number on the butt of my Model 49 Bodyguard just doesn't match up with the way everybody has them listed.

I am in hopes that someone on the forum, somewhere can help me get it dated.

So here goes, the serial number is 9J7XXX. Thats it, sum total. It has a pinned barrel and it has a "dash" between the MOD and 49.

That's all the serial number it has and its all exposed so there is not hidden numbers.

HELP!

·
Registered
23,200 Posts
I have been trying to find, read up on and understand the serial number sequences for the J frame revolvers in an attempt to pin down when mine was made with no luck.

The serial number on the butt of my Model 49 Bodyguard just doesn't match up with the way everybody has them listed.

I am in hopes that someone on the forum, somewhere can help me get it dated.

So here goes, the serial number is 9J7XXX. Thats it, sum total. It has a pinned barrel and it has a "dash" between the MOD and 49.

That's all the serial number it has and its all exposed so there is not hidden numbers.

HELP!

Interesting, in theory the pinned barrel was deleted in 1982 but the serial # is 1983-88. I suppose the frame was made & drilled for a pinned barrel but sat on the shelf for a year or more before completion & shipping.

·
Registered
12,055 Posts
Interesting, in theory the pinned barrel was deleted in 1982 but the serial # is 1983-88. I suppose the frame was made & drilled for a pinned barrel but sat on the shelf for a year or more before completion & shipping.
Of the centennial, chiefs special and bodyguard, the bodyguard would probably be the slowest seller. At a large gunshop last year the 642 and 637 were on sale and I asked why not the 638. Clerk said the owner got a good deal on the other 2 because he sells a lot of them but not too many bodyguard style. That type of situation could easily explain the pinned barrel. Basically a transitional gun

·
Registered
491 Posts
About 1971 Smith went through a period of "floating Js" where the J in the serial number moved around rather than being in first position.

Yours is from that period.

I have two j frames from that period -- a model 36 and 37,

1 - 5 of 5 Posts