Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi - I just posted this over in the new member area but I'm curious about my 24-3. I'm finding out that it's pretty rare. I got this from my Dad who bought it in the 80's. I used to always think these were aftermarket grips but apparently they're original. (Whenever we'd buy a new pistol we'd jerk off the factory grips and put Pachmayr's on - because it was the thing you did.)

Any deep insight into this would be appreciated. Is this one of the "Lew Horton" pistols? I'll post the serial as well. It's a brilliant gun - it has the fit and smoothness that I associate with pistols from the 50's and 60's. I distinctly remember when Smith quality seemed to drop off - all the men in the gun store were looking at the new pistols coming in, working the actions, and grumbling. The resident gunsmith cycled one and said "open it up and dump the gravel out." This was all probably silliness - nothing new can be good, right?

Anyway, thanks for any input.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I believe it is a Lew Horton Special. A buddy got a stainless one when they came out (624 Lew Horton Combat Special) and loved it. Great looking gun. Standard Catalogue of S&W-3rd Edition states that it was introduced in 1983 with no barrel pin as a Lew Horton Special 3" barrel, round butt, red ramp front site, micrometer adjustable rear site with white outline. 5000 reported manufactured as limited edition 1984-1985, with 1000 shipped with a special black holster. Retail at the time was $380.00.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks very much guys - I'm getting afraid to shoot it now. Maybe I need a new Smith to actually shoot!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah you're right. I've seen revolvers with thousands of rounds through them that don't look beat up at all.

·
Premium Member
2,757 Posts
It's too bad that Lew Horton Distributors ceased operation December 2019 because you could have contacted Earl Minot to get an authentication letter. According to that letter, 5000 were produced and delivered to Lew Horton between 1983 - 1985.

In addition to it having the 3" barrel, it was the first factory produced round butt N-Frame. Prior to that,the only round butt N-Frames were the result of a post factory modification by gunsmiths.

I don't use the original grips on mine because while they look great, they don't fit or feel that great my hand, I prefer slimmer style grips,
This was the original ad:

Here's mine:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts