Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Might be going to look at a Mod. 19, shop owner says it is in good shape. The grips are black rubber. I am new to the Smith guns, did they come with the black rubber grips. This particular gun has a 4 inch barrel. I wonder if this model ever had a round butt with the 4-inch barrel. Thanks for the help with this. The price is supposed to be $375. I saw some police trade-ins for $475 but they looked as if they had seen better days mechanically.

Stinger

·
Administrator
8,129 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Stinger.

I'm not an expert on model 19s, and you don't mention which dash number you're looking at, but according to my references they did indeed install Uncle Mike's Combat grips (synthetic) starting in 1994.

In 1995-96, they deleted the square butt configuration and in 1996 they discontinued the 6" barrel.

The model 19 was discontinued in Nov 1999.

So, it looks to me that yes.. you could be looking at a 4" round butt model 19 with rubber grips.

Again, I'm not an expert on model 19s so if someone sees a mistake on my part please correct me.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Stinger
Smith did make a four inch Mod. 19 with the round butt. I beleive they were ordered for the State Department security people at one point. There is also the possibility that a 2 1/2" Mod. 19 had a four inch replacement bbl. change. I have a four inch Mod.19 with the round butt, but I haven't verified if it was from the State Dept. batch or a bbl. change. I liked it so I bought it.
Bob

·
Administrator
8,129 Posts
Bob,
You got my interest up so I looked in the SCSW3 a little further.

I see the model run you're referring to; it's Product code 100704.

I also see Product code 100705, which seems to list both SB and RB. Interesting.. I never noticed that before.

So, they made the SB under that Product code from 1984-95 and as a RB under that Product code from 1996-99? That's the way I read it, anyway..

·
Registered
669 Posts
Carl
That's the way I understand the SCSW3 reference too. Here is a picture if my RB four inch Mod. 19. It is a -7, so it is not one of the State Dept. guns which were -5's. Mine was made in 1994.

Bob

·
Registered
114 Posts
Stinger, you've got good taste! The 19 is probably my favorite revolver. It is just hard to find a gun that says 'classic smith' more than the 19. I've got a 19-5 4" that had pachs on it when purchased. I, very soon, got some nice magnas for it, and recently found some elephant ivory for her. Now to get some scratchin' on it!

At the louisville gun show a while back I ran up on a deal one some K frame round butt finger groove combats. And since I had been wanting a 2.5" 19 to go with my 4"...I thought I'd just buy em and them buy the gun to go with em...kinda backwards, but hey!

All in all, these are terrific guns. You'll enjoy it if you decide to get it. Be sure and let us know if you get it and then start plastering the pics for us...they don't have to be professional grade...as you can clearly see from mine :D

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
Wish I had enough money right now to pick up on some model nineteens while they are still reasonably priced.As sure as the sun rises and sets the value of them is gonna go up like all the other discontinued revolvers smith and wesson built.I watched the prices creeping up since last summer.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Carl
I re-read the dates referencing the Mod.19. I believe product code 100705 which I think my gun is, was made from 1996-1999 and also offered with the square butt. On pg. 188 of SCSW3 the second line of product code 100705 references 4" B RB SG DT 1996-1999, with SB grips.The previous page 187 dates the 19-7 as made in 1994. Does that make sense? Stinger, sorry for the high jack. Get the Mod. 19. You'll love it!
Bob

·
Administrator
8,129 Posts
Bob,
I noticed that too. I'm not sure what's going on there, but it's also not the first time I've seen something in the SCSW3 that doesn't seem to make sense.

Also, it appears to be saying that from '96 on, the model 19 was made in RB, but had SB conversion grips.

I also apologize for the thread drift! And, to a first time poster too..

Sorry!

·
Registered
215 Posts
I've got a 4" 19-7 RB. It is in a matt black PC type finish. Over on the blue forum, a former State Department type told me that the 19-7 4", finished as I describe, was issued to plain clothes security personnel at overseas embassy's.

It's a one off in my model 19 collection, and a tack driver too. Hope this doesn't confuse the issue further. Regards 18DAI.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well the gun is gone. The shop owner called and said it was sold. It seems he can't keep used S&W's in the shop. They are selling like hot cakes. Thanks to all who provided information. I am a bit wiser.

Stinger

·
Administrator
8,129 Posts
Stinger,
That's too bad.. But I'm sure you'll run across something else soon.

Let us know if we can help in any way. And, again.. welcome to the forum!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts