Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DDCAC726-FEEE-4F7B-9D22-7EE15454BA50.jpeg

Was gifted my first revolver on Saturday. Model 36 “no dash”. Was really ugly looking but it’s still tight and everything worked besides the permanent light strikes. Previous owner said it wouldn’t fire any rounds and it needed a new firing pin. I politely agreed and accepted the free gun haha.

As soon as he left I stripped it down and the insides were filthy!! After popping the side cover off I noticed the main spring fork was not resting on the pin that’s on the back of the hammer. Instead, it was kinda just hanging out in the hollow area of the hammer and wasn’t being fully compressed due to its misalignment. I put the spring where it belonged and voila!! The trigger instantly had that 12+ lb. pull I kept hearing about. THIS WAS THE PROBLEM ALL ALONG!!!!!

I decided to keep going and clean up the guts. (Really wish I took before and after pics). I spent the next three evenings/nights meticulously filing burrs, wet sanding action parts, and polishing the insides. The hammer nose or firing pin was being held in by a sorry excuse of a pin someone had installed. So I replaced it with a hardened tension pin and staked it in there. Firing pin is nice and straight now while still allowing slight play so it clears the frame.

Got home from work this evening and couldn’t wait any longer so I went out to the range and gave her a test run, all I have to say is OH MY GOSH!! I am so happy with the results as I have never touched a revolver and to see it working so flawlessly just made all those oily nights of tinkering worth it! I have officially decided revolvers are my favorite platform of firearms. From the history to the design and function, I am just fin love lol. Oddly the previous owner doesn’t seem as happy as I am for some reason...

First round was fired single action and the rest DA but both seemed buttery smooth and pretty accurate for what it is. Only had 5 rounds but I’m confident she’s good to go. Here’s a pic of the primers before and after the “trigger job” and repairs

LONG LIVE THE J-FRAME!!!!!

·
Registered
27,105 Posts
Nice gift indeed! Glad the revolver functioned well and I bet it will not be your "only" revolver for long. Enjoy. :)

·
Premium Member
906 Posts
Very nice work! Always amazed me what a little solvent and some elbow grease can do! Best “ trigger” job around. The polishing/ stoning just sweetened the pot. Fatten up that checking account, you’re gonna need it!! Hank

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
What a great story! First revolver and you spent some time learning its inner workings and patiently cleaned her up and wala! .. nice looking primer strikes. Outstanding!!

Good on you .. next time post a target or 2!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts