Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I just bought a model 6591 and unfortunately the barrel has sometime back in the days been removed.

I really need to get hold of one or at least a drawing and a picture.

I've searched the internet like crazy but no luck. Also contacted s&w via email but they don't answer.

Anyone know anything about this?

What to do?

The problem is that i live in Sweden.

//John
Glasses Flash photography Wood Automotive design Cloud
Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel Revolver

·
Premium Member
20,713 Posts
Welcome to the forums from the Wiregrass! I believe our Swedish guest has a rare S&W semi-auto.

Model 6591 RSR Transitional. 9mm, stainless steel double column, RR fixed sights, removable barrel bushing, rare. Product Code: 108581 1991.

(SCSW, 4th Ed., Page 388).
I don't know if the 659 barrel bushing will work on this offshoot model. Unfortunately, Numrich is out of stock and may reflect the scarcity of this part in the US/World. Since this gun is in the Model 59 series, perhaps a bushing from another gun in this model series might work. Someone more knowledgeable than me about the semi-autos needs to chime in here.

·
Premium Member
13,663 Posts
The frame in his photo is marked "Model 6591". Is this a refined version of the "659" second generation pistol (transitional in some way)?

S&W stopped making these a number of decades ago. Spare parts are often available from secondary sources. Numrich Arms is one of them. S&W stopped parts support in 2014.

The barrel bushing is likely a fitted part that must be fitted to both the receiver slide and the barrel.

·
Premium Member
20,713 Posts
Turns out one of the forum's sponsors sells parts kits. They have at least one kit for the 659 and several for the 459. The problem is I don't know if they will ship internationally. Most gun parts suppliers do not.

·
Registered
10,104 Posts
Hey John,

Welcome to S&W.

Sure hope you can get the bushing for that fine auto!

Later, Mark

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi guys, thanks for your replies.

I saw on the 659 schematics that it was a different barrel. 659 has som kind of bulge at the end. Mine is straight the whole way.

And on my gun in the slide, it looks like the bushing twists in place in some way. I can upload some more pictures in a while.

So how can i come in contact with the person here in the forum who had the parts?

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Have you tried contacting the person that sold it to you to see if they have the part?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes its my girlfriends uncle, and it was like that when he got it. He bought it from a retired police back in the 90s, and he's the one who imported it from the US.

Unfortunately that's a dead end.

Does anyone know how to get a hold of a drawing of the bushing? If so I have a chance of manufacture one from scratch.
Anyone here in the forum who works at s&w or know one who does maby?

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
First, I'd try a bushing from a different series, such as Model 59. If you could borrow one to try, that would be the best bet.

If all else fails, I would think a decent machinist would be able to reverse engineer one for you. It'll be more expensive than simply buying a S&W bushing.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
I don't know what model that is in the photo. I just did a search on Smith and Wesson barrel bushing and chose one from the photos it produced. They all looked the same to me. I think the only thing that matters is caliber but I am by no means an expert on S&W semi autos.

·
Registered
19,358 Posts
Any competent machine shop (me included) can turn you one from bar stock in a few minutes. Stainless (304 series) or carbon steel, your choice.

·
Premium Member
13,663 Posts
The accuracy of the pistol depends on the close fit of the barrel bushing to both the slide and the barrel.

If you look closely at your barrel, you should see an area where there is a small bulge which precision fits into the bushing. This is also done on many M1911a1 pistols. It is subtle and you might feel it more than see it, or measure 1 to 2 cm from the muzzle and find it's a few mm thicker there.

This may be similar to the bushings on third generation S&W pistols. I only have a model 4566, and the dimensions would be quite different.

·
Premium Member
3,065 Posts
The 6591 was a special run done for RSR Group, a large firearms distributor (note the RSR serial number prefix). It is a 2nd generation pistol slide assembly married to an early 3rd Gen frame. There were also other versions (6590, 6591,6592), and all are rare S&W pistols.

A barrel bushing from the first generation pistol models 39, 39-2, 59, and the second generation pistols models 439/639/459/559/659 (x59 series) will fit and function in your slide, with the differences between the models being the bushing style (early design versus improved later design), materials (stainless steel versus carbon steel) and finish (blued or nickel plated).

These are service grade accuracy pistols, the bushing fit is not as precise, and lend themselves to being interchanged if necessary to get a pistol back to working condition. Parts for these guns have not been made for over 30 years, so you take what you can get.

The early 1st generation pistols will have a bushing the has a closed loop bottom, like what is shown in post #10 by CP1969.

Then going forward into the 2nd Generation pistol, the barrel bushing style was changed to an open 1/2 moon shape, that looks the same as the barrel bushings found on Colt 1911 style pistols. In fact, they are so similar in design, that if you know your way around a Colt 1911 pistol, then you also already know how the 1st and 2nd generation S&W barrel bushings work... the same.

And your observation is correct, the end of the barrel does not have any bulge... and many of the schematics found online (like the one on the Numrich website) are actually of 3rd Gen pistols.

This is what the barrel bushing for my nickel plated 459 2nd gen pistol looks like, with the improved 1/2 moon flange, it is the style that was used on your pistol:

Rim Gas Nickel Auto part Cylinder

The 6591 uses a stainless steel bushing, that was also used on the 639 & 659 stainless pistols. The carbon steel bushings, from the 39, 39-2, 59, 439/539, 459/559 will be found in blued and nickel finish... cosmetics aside, they will function.

Ebay has international websites, have you tried searching there for parts?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
@gunhacker wow, very much and good information that helped me alot.

I have found a 39-2 and a 659 bushing that I will order. Hopefully in good condition but I guess they will improve no matter what.

So now it's just the wait until I get the parts.

Thanks alot to all of you guys for sharing what you know!

//John

·
Premium Member
3,065 Posts
Yes, John... be sure to let us know how it turns out for you.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Side question,

Let's say i need some spare parts in the future.
Is it correct to say that a can look for 2nd gen slide parts and 3rd gen frame parts?

And and the barrel? Can i see it as an 2nd or 3rd gen variant?

//John

·
Premium Member
3,065 Posts
Side question,

Let's say i need some spare parts in the future.
Is it correct to say that a can look for 2nd gen slide parts and 3rd gen frame parts?

And and the barrel? Can i see it as an 2nd or 3rd gen variant?

//John
The barrel is strictly 2nd gen. The 3rd gen has a fixed barrel bushing in the slide and the end of the barrel has the "bulge" to fit it to the bushing interior diameter.

But your slide is unique in that it also has improved 3rd gen parts, which is why these 659x series of pistols are so unique.

The ambidextrous safety assembly is a 3rd gen design, the right side safety level is held in place by the lever fitting into a slot and a spring loaded plunger locking it into place. On 2nd Gen slide, the right side lever is affixed by a Phillips head screw, that had a nasty habit of loosening up. Now having said that... the older style 2nd Gen safety assembly would still work on your slide should it ever need to be replaced and that was all that you could find.

2nd Gen:

Office equipment Office supplies Wood Technology Tool

3rd Gen:

Communication Device Bumper Automotive lighting Office equipment Gas

As for other parts... it depends. As the S&W pistols evolved, they made improvements on certain parts for better functioning/reliability, for better ergonomics or ease of manufacturing (forged versus MIM parts, like the trigger & hammer), and some parts remained the same throughout the production years.

There are certain parts that were prone to breakage that the later version addressed, so if you gun came with the improved version, you wouldn't want to put in the previous version, unless that was all you could find and needed a replacement to make the gun functional until a newer style could be found.

An example of this is the ejector.

Old style.

Rectangle Font Bicycle part Automotive exterior Auto part

New style.

Tool Bicycle part Font Auto part Metal

So it is not as "cut & dry" when it comes to parts, especially with your pistol being a "transitional" model that bridged the gap between the last of the 2nd Gen production and the beginning of the 3rd Gens.

S&W did not waste anything... when there was a design change in parts, it was often phased in when the old stuff was used up, and that's what make transitional guns a challenge because they are a mix and match of things.

I hope this helped.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts