Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just got this holster, obviously Military, wrapped around a S&W 1917.

Wish I knew about it but...

Kevin

okay, how do I remove the middle photograph.

KMN

Attachments

·
Registered
3,576 Posts
Edit, go advanced, manage attachments. Then you can delete each photo separately. Nice collection of pinking shears.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Edit, go advanced, manage attachments. Then you can delete each photo separately.
Thank you, that’s what I thought but for some reason it does not work from my phone.

Nice collection of pinking shears.
Thank you again, a small selection of things I sharpen.

Kevin

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Okay, I have found out a few things. First, this is an M4 holster made for the 1917 revolver. Here is some of what I found.

“...DESIGNED AS A “BELT WORN ONLY” REVOLVER HOLSTER WITH REAR BELT SLIDE LOOP, THIS HOLSTER WAS FIRST DESIGNED & PRODUCED DURING WWII IN 1942 & WAS PRODUCED BY ( 2 ) COMPANIES, THE SEARS SADDLERY COMPANY OF DAVENPORT, IOWA AND
THE MILWAUKEE SADDLERY COMPANY OF MILWAUKEE, WISCONSIN, ACCORDING TO EDWARD SCOTT MEADOWS RESEARCH,
HOWEVER .. THOUGH NO RECORDS EXHIST,
IT’S POSSIBLE THAT TEXTAN (TEXAS TANNING & MANUF.COMP.) OF YOUKUM, TEXAS MAY HAVE RECEIVED A SMALL GOVT. CONTRACT TO PRODUCE THE (M4) AS WELL, AS IT IS POSSIBLE A FEW EXAMPLES HAVE SURFACED ON THE COLLECTOR MARKET.

SEARS SADDLERY RECEIVED THEIR CONTRACT TO PRODUCED THE M4 HOLSTER IN 1942 & PRODUCED THEM FROM 1942-1944.
SEARS SADDLERY MARKED THEIR HOLSTERS ON THE REAR BELT LOOP WITH – SEARS “ONLY”
MILWAUKEE SADDLERY RECEIVED THEIR CONTRACT TO MANUFACTURE THE ( M4 ) IN 1944 & SUPPOSEDLY PRODUCED THEM FOR 1 YEAR IN 1944 ONLY.
THEY MARKED THEIR HOLSTERS ON THE REAR BELT LOOP WITH - U.S. MILWAUKEE SADDLERY AND THE DATE – 1944

THE FOLLOWING IS TAKEN FROM US MILITARY HOLSTERS & RELATED ACCOUTREMENTS:
THE M4 HOLSTER WAS DESIGNED TO CARRY THE COLT & SMITH & WESSON .45 CALIBER REVOLVERS WHICH WERE BOTH STILL BEING ISSUED & USED IN LIMITED QUANTITIES DURING WWII. SIMILAR TO THE ( M2 ) 1917 HOLSTER, THE DIFFERENCE BEING THAT THE ( M2 ) WAS DESIGNED WITH A BOTTOM PLUG, RING & TIE DOWN THONG, & THIS ( M4 ) WAS DESIGNED ONLY WITH A SLENDER CLOSED, STITCHED BOTTOM WITH BRASS EYELIT DRAIN HOLE, BY WHICH AN ELK LEATHER LEG THONG COULD BE THREADED THRU & TIED OFF FOR SECURING TO THE WEARER’S LEG. AS WITH THE ( M2 ) THIS ( M4 ) WAS DESIGNED TO BE CARRIED “BUTT TO THE REAR” AND WORN ON THE RIGHT HIP. THE ( M4 ) IS CONSTRUCTED OF RUSSET LEATHER CONSISTING OF 4 SEPARATE PARTS, THE BODY, FLAP WITH STUD SECURING HOLE/CATCH, BELT LOOP & WELT, ALL SECURED BY (8) BRASS RIVETS AND HAS THE FRONT BRASS CLOSURE STUD. THE FRONT OF THE ( M4 ) IS EMBOSSED WITH US IN AN OVAL CIRCLE & MAKER STAMPED & DATED ON THE BACK OF THE BELT LOOP BY EACH MANUFACTURER.

THIS ( M4 ) DESIGN WENT ON TO SERVE AFTER WWII, BEING
RE-ISSUED IN 1946 TO THE U.S. POST OFFICE.
THESE LEFT OVER WWII RE-ISSUED M4 HOLSTERS WHICH WERE SUPPLIED TO THE U.S. POST OFFICE FOR ARMED SECURITY POSTAL WORKERS WERE STAMPED ON THE FRONT : ( PROPERTY OF THE U.S.P.O. DEPT. )...”

So, this holster style was made was made by two companies. One may have made them for three years. And MSC made them for one year. Not a lot more is known or at least readily available information is not easily found.

Information on Sgt Frederick is intriguing also. The VFW in the Sgt’s hometown sent me some information. Among it was the Sgt’s obituary. Warren Frederick was born on 1930 and died in 2019. He is survived by three daughters and many grand and great grandkids.

From that dob, he was too young to serve in WWII but Korea is possible. Would that holster still have been available for issue in the 50s? Was the 1917 issued to US troops in Korea? If yes, to whom?

I hope to track down one of the daughters. She may remember something.

I am guessing the number on the holster is his service number. Is there a way to track his service with that number?

So, more questions than answers.

Kevin

·
Registered
9,192 Posts
Just got this holster, obviously Military, wrapped around a S&W 1917.

Wish I knew about it but...

Kevin

okay, how do I remove the middle photograph.

KMN
Love the scissors..:)

Thewelshm

·
Registered
6,559 Posts
My 1953 Army Field Manual titled Pistols and Revolvers covers both the Colt and S&W M1917 versions.

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
I ended up with a holster, canteen, and web belt wrapped around a Union Switch and Signal 1911A1. I have a last name and military serial number. Sadly no other information. US records are spotty. Apparently because of a long ago fire. All my searches have come up as dead ends. The only clue I found was that because the holster is black, he served during the occupation of Japan. I wish you luck in your search.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts