Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cabela's is offering 9mm 115g. FMJ ammo from MFS 200 for $9.99 / box of 50. With instant rebates, it is even cheaper!

Is this stuff any good? I own a Sigma SW9VE that has, so far, fed everything I given it. Of course, this would be Range ammo, not SD, but the price looks almost too good to be true. I can live with slightly less than perfect accuracy from the ammo, but I don't want to deal with FTE's or FTF's, and I definitely don't want to screw up an otherwise good gun.

So, should I get this stuff, or let some one else have a problem?

Thanks!

John

·
Registered
10,921 Posts
Don't know if I would put it quite like Bob did but,,,
Try some and let us know. Most 'cheap' ammo I have tried ended up being inaccurate and dirty. Inaccurate ammo always gave an excuse at the range :mrgreen: it is the dirty part I never cared for.

·
Administrator
8,103 Posts
One of the guys at work told me he ordered some last week. I'm curious about it too. Not that I'll be buying any (I reload), but just to find out how good it is. That's a really low price..

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all your well reasoned comments. As a relative novice, I appreciate the helpfulness of the more experienced shooters and gun owners on the forum.

By the way, I do clean my gun after every use at the range so I'll know right away if it fires especially dirty. If the ammo is not very accurate, I'll probably not know, as I just said, I'm a novice. My concern was whether it would feed properly in my type of gun. I would not have given it it try for the price if it were not from a business as reputable as Cabela's.

I'll let the forum know my experiences with the ammo when it arrives, hopefully later this week.

John

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
9mm and 45acp being what they are, low price or not, they'll probably work just fine.
Exceptions?
Sure...
Any steel-cased or aluminum/alloy-cased stuff automatcally gets my 'NO' vote.
As far as gauging the accuracy of any gun or any ammo goes, your test had best be from a firmly-anchored benchrest holder, and using SEVERAL brands under the same conditions.
Good luck and good shooting!
Don
kfjdrfirii

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Got back from the range having run 60 rounds through my Sigma SW9VE. As with every other cartridge I've tried, every one fed properly, went bang, and ejected. I'm a novice shooter, so I would say that the ammo is at least as accurate as I am based on the non-scientific testing at 4 - 10 yards; I was getting the same groupings as with other ammo I've shot.

As some writers expected, this stuff was a little dirtier than the other 9mm brands I've shot to date. I clean my gun after every range session, so it was no big deal.

Overall, I'd say this was good value at the price. I'll use it and have a lot of fun for relatively low cost. I see that Cabela's is no longer running the sale price, so I'll probably go back to using the factory reloads they sell at the range unless this goes on sale again.

John

·
Registered
10,921 Posts
Good report John. Are you considering reloading yet? :mrgreen:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts