Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
Some, if not all steel cases are coated in a rust preventive.....which can build-up in the chamber. Requiring a little more cleaning! As to increased extractor wear: AK’s used in very inhospitable climates and virtually no maintenance seem to function quite well against our troops! memtb

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
What do you think of the ammo that uses metal casings? Hurt pistol? TulAmmo? Why do gun ranges not allow?
I run steel-cased rounds in my AK's, but nowhere else. I swear they were made for steel. Wouldn't even think of it for my favorite semi-auto pistols, but then again there is no real need there as I am very well-stocked with brass-cased at pre-crisis prices in all the popular semi-auto calibers. Steel-cased in revolvers? Just haven't found the need... yet. :unsure:

·
Registered
281 Posts
I like them. I run them in my .45 ACP 1911 and mine and my wife's AR's and in our 9 MM's. It wont hurt your extractor. Your barrel may wear out a little faster but it would take many thousands of rounds to do it. The cost savings would vastly make up for the price of a new barrel. The reason they seem to be so dirty is steel doesn't expand to fill the chamber like brass does so you get a little more blowback. Just clean the thing when you're done shooting it.

·
Premium Member
13,669 Posts
I would never put aluminum or steel case ammo into my firearms. Just use brass case ammo.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Some, if not all steel cases are coated in a rust preventive.....which can build-up in the chamber. Requiring a little more cleaning! As to increased extractor wear: AK’s used in very inhospitable climates and virtually no maintenance seem to function quite well against our troops! memtb
thanks. New shooter that bought some before realizing that it was metal.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I like them. I run them in my .45 ACP 1911 and mine and my wife's AR's and in our 9 MM's. It wont hurt your extractor. Your barrel may wear out a little faster but it would take many thousands of rounds to do it. The cost savings would vastly make up for the price of a new barrel. The reason they seem to be so dirty is steel doesn't expand to fill the chamber like brass does so you get a little more blowback. Just clean the thing when you're done shooting it.
This.

There is a Lucky Gunner video on this subject that is very informative.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
Years ago I ran 2ea 1440 rds cases of Russian & German 7.62x39 through my Mini 30. Didn't hurt the Mini 30 at all. Still have it and still shoot steel case ammo through it occasionally. Hornady and Winchester make steel cased ammo now. Many years ago I ran dozens of boxes of WWII steel cased Remington UMC 45 acp through a light weight Colt Commander. Again no problems.......Extractor problems are a myth to those who have never tried it.

·
Registered
4,472 Posts
Steel Cartridge cases are not allowed on some indoor ranges because there is always unburned powder on the floor and there have been problems with the fired steel cases making sparks and starting a fire.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts