Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here in the beautiful People's Republik of Illinois, virtually every other location has the 'no guns' sign. Here they do have force of law (misdemeanor),so I've taken to carrying a defensive knife.

Presently, it's a Benchmade Infidel automatic.

I'm contemplating adding a fixed blade, and due to the way I learned, I prefer a double edge. Came up with these candidates and want to know if anyone has any experience with them.

Mercworx Small Shiva:

Randall Combat Companion:

I'm leaning towards the Shiva as it's symmetric. Both are around 5" (give or take)

Thoughts?

·
Registered
23,200 Posts
I prefer double edged fighting knives, they penetrate much better & cut both ways inside flesh. If the one that left the interesting scar on my hand was double edged it would have done a lot more than stop when it hit my knuckle. However, I don't recommend a knife as a weapon since very few actually know how to quickly kill or disable w/ one... waiting for an attacker to bleed out gives them way too much time to damage you & your loved ones & is a close range tool that doesn't work well on multiple attackers. When a young friend went to comifornica w/ his family he asked which knife I recommended since he couldn't legally bring a handgun. I asked why bring a knife when it will be considered just as illegal as a gun & only slightly as useful? I don't know what he carried, I know his wife was packing her Ruger.

·
Registered
16,571 Posts
At least here if carry and they happen to find out and have a sign, only recourse is to ask me to leave. Which, if they have no gun sign, they get no money from me. Sorry to hear so prevalent there as they are proof gun free zones and gun restrictions do not work.

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I prefer double edged fighting knives, they penetrate much better & cut both ways inside flesh. If the one that left the interesting scar on my hand was double edged it would have done a lot more than stop when it hit my knuckle. However, I don't recommend a knife as a weapon since very few actually know how to quickly kill or disable w/ one... waiting for an attacker to bleed out gives them way too much time to damage you & your loved ones & is a close range tool that doesn't work well on multiple attackers. When a young friend went to comifornica w/ his family he asked which knife I recommended since he couldn't legally bring a handgun. I asked why bring a knife when it will be considered just as illegal as a gun & only slightly as useful? I don't know what he carried, I know his wife was packing her Ruger.
Oh, I woudn't say that. If you know what you're doing it can be VERY effective. At contact range, maybe moreso than a gun. I'm teaching the kids everything I've learned. :)

I learned forestroke/backstroke so double edged is the way to go. And yes, I've been tagged a couple of times- but the history behind that is not for public consumption . Let's just say Rodgers Park in the 80's ;)

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Randalls are nice I have a weakness for them. You may want to consider an Applegate-Fairbairn as it is a double edged knife made by Boker. The knife on the far right in this pic is an Applegate, all the others are Randalls.
I'm liking the middle one, maybe too big to carry conveniently.

Reactions: bearcat6

·
Super Moderator
31,828 Posts
Both look like fine choices, I think either one would be pretty good, although only experience with have with either is Randall and we both like the knives a lot!

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
23,200 Posts
Oh, I woudn't say that. If you know what you're doing it can be VERY effective. At contact range, maybe moreso than a gun. I'm teaching the kids everything I've learned. :)

I learned forestroke/backstroke so double edged is the way to go. And yes, I've been tagged a couple of times- but the history behind that is not for public consumption . Let's just say Rodgers Park in the 80's ;)

A knife can be very effective, however few people actually know how to use one correctly. I come from a long line of Rangers, paratroopers & wild Indians. Someone came @ me w/ one years ago, I'm still here... he won't be doing it again. Don't ask how I know a double edge works better. However I'm a lot older & slower now so I carry a gun or 2 & even when young wouldn't have had a chance if the attackers had guns (lived through that too but still prefer a gun).

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
A knife can be very effective, however few people actually know how to use one correctly. I come from a long line of Rangers, paratroopers & wild Indians. Someone came @ me w/ one years ago, I'm still here... he won't be doing it again. Don't ask how I know a double edge works better. However I'm a lot older & slower now so I carry a gun or 2 & even when young wouldn't have had a chance if the attackers had guns (lived through that too but still prefer a gun).
That's very true, I'm still here due to another's ineptitude. I may be older, but can still icepick faster than the kids.
YMMV but I prefer both - a knife and a gun. :)

Reactions: Injunbro

·
Registered
23,200 Posts
That's very true, I'm still here due to another's ineptitude. I may be older, but can still icepick faster than the kids.
YMMV but I prefer both - a knife and a gun. :)

I'm carrying 4 knives & 2 guns @ the moment, both strong & weak side... & there is more than 1 gun & knife in reach just in case.

·
Registered
547 Posts
just another thing we can't have in cal. no knifes that are sharpened on both sides , it is considered a dagger and you can't posses one

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
Very Partial to Randal's . Been to the plant in Orlando and see how they are made. Also been to the museum. I believe that the air Crewman is just about the most perfect knife any one can have. It really gets the job done. Sold my collection of smith Wesson knives. Still have me Colt NRA knife Colt45NRAknife 003.JPG Colt45NRAknife 002.JPG Smithknives 002.JPG

·
Registered
12,778 Posts
Still have and use my Buck 110 folder. Has to be 30 years old.

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Option 3: None of the above

Lol. Wound up getting this one. (Boker) 4.5" :D Plain-o, jane-o

I think bearcat wins the prize.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts