Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I may have landed one of these. I am aware of two stories concerning these black 4566's.

One is that they were made up for a law enforcement agency in New England for their maritime patrol.

The other is that they were a mid to late 2000's order for the US Marshall service.

Anyone have one of these, or a pic?

Anyone know more details?

As of the Spring of 2006 S&W still had some of these sitting in their vault. they were asking $900+ for one. I passed at that price, and am very glad I did. Regards 18DAI.

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
Not sure about the provanance, but I can say that the finish on the "Black Jack" 686's didn't stand up very well to much holster time....

Snapshot when you get it?

Drew

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Drew,

I'll try and get one of the fella's on my squad to take and post a pic, IF it all works out and I get it.

Yes, the "Black Magic" finish on the 686's was a big FAIL. On the other board KurtC opined that these came out in the late 90's as S&W's first experiment with Melonite. S&W apparently having been stung by the black magic debacle.

There is a guy on the gunboards who claims to have picked up two of these, NIB a few years back in the pacific NW. He claimed, IIRC that they came with 10 round mags, and Briley bushings. I've yet to see a standard factory 3rd generation pistol with a Briley bushing. My PC CQB 45 Prototype has a Briley bushing as do numerous PC pistols, but it has standard factory 8-round mags. As does this Melonite 4566 I found. Regards 18DAI.

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
A fine report and we all look forward to seeing the photos if they become available.

I don't currently own a 4566, but I do have a 4516-1 that I carry from time to time when the weather permits the wearing of a vest and I'm bored with my SiG220. The 4516 snuggles very nicely over my kidney in a OWB Gungear SW35A.

I have always thought that the 4566 would make a pretty fair belt gun.

·
Registered
11,088 Posts
Briley bushing?
Do not believe the barrel bushing in my 4566 is removeable. Looks to be machined into the frame. Had my eagle eyed nephew take it out this morning with some 200gr SWC and and 200gr LRN and some Berry's 200gr trunicated. Amazing pistol

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The standard 4566's have fixed bushings mated to the slide. it is a factory job to replace a 4566 bushing.

The Briley bushing was fitted to Performance Center 4566 and 4563 CQB pistols. I've never seen it on a standard factory S&W 4566.

One member on another board claimed his standard black 4566's had Briley bushings (and OEM 10-round mags :roll: ). When I asked to see pics, he disappeared. Regards 18DAI.

·
Registered
6,179 Posts
How does one know a S&W Model 4566 has Briley bushing?

·
Registered
6,179 Posts
Again, how does one know a S&W Model 4566 has Briley bushing?

·
Registered
61 Posts
18DAI

I have a 4566 Melonite I purchased a few months back from the original owner, LNIB ...I paid $600 plus shipping and FFL fee. I can send you a pick of mine if needed.

Cheers
David

I may have landed one of these. I am aware of two stories concerning these black 4566's.

One is that they were made up for a law enforcement agency in New England for their maritime patrol.

The other is that they were a mid to late 2000's order for the US Marshall service.

Anyone have one of these, or a pic?

Anyone know more details?

As of the Spring of 2006 S&W still had some of these sitting in their vault. they were asking $900+ for one. I passed at that price, and am very glad I did. Regards 18DAI.

·
Super Moderator
20,133 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,210 Posts
Generally, the only S&W pistols with come with a Briley bushing installed are the ones from the Performance Center, and that's not always universal, but it is quite typical and how the 2 Performance Center pistols I have came equipped.

At one time I think Briley offered them as an installed aftermarket option, but that ceased long ago as many other places did, when the 3rd gen were dropped from the regular S&W catalog.

But as previously mentioned, the sure sign is to look for that bronze ring that swivels inside of the outer bushing.

Reactions: legelegel
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.