Smith And Wesson Forums banner

41 - 60 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
ATF Form 4473, Firearms Transaction Record

“The use or possession of marijuana remains unlawful under Federal law regardless of whether it has been legalized or decriminalized for medicinal or recreational purposes in the state where you reside.”

That warning follows original language in the form that requires a buyer to answer yes or no to a question about whether he or she is “an unlawful user of, or addicted to, marijuana or any depressant, stimulant, narcotic drug, or any other controlled substance.”

Feds spell it out: No gun for you if you fire up in a pot-legal state | The Colorado Independent

Can you own a gun if you use marijuana?

The feds say no. State law is silent. And updated language from the federal department of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives on its gun-transaction paperwork has people once again talking about the conflict between state law and federal law.
This all day long...

Just because a state legalized it doesn’t mean it trumps ATF regs.
Also doesn’t mean your employer can’t fire you. Work for Defense? Have a clearance? Etc...

·
Registered
445 Posts
In Oregon pot is legal. We started out with medical marijuana, they had clinics where you could walk in off the street and tell them you stubbed your toe or had some other pain. Old doctor Feelgood would fix you up with a medical marijuana card for a slight fee. That's how hard they were to get. Then the people voted to legalize it for every adult, and to be honest the biggest difference I see are marijuana stores every where. The state has made a ton of money with taxes in the millions, the first year they took in double what they expected. Right now the say there is a huge over supply of pot in the state and prices are at rock bottom.

When I see a lot of these true cop shows they seem to be finding pot in every car they stop, on with the bracelets, and off for a ride in a big black and white taxi. Most of those incidents wouldn't be an issue here. Depending on the amount you have of course. I would much rather the cops go after tweakers, speed freaks are really dangerous.
Well heroin and crack is legal in Liberal Land now.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey, is there anyone else here who is willing to discuss this topic again? I'd like to chat about it. Anxiety is very common among many people, especially it became popular among people in the 21st century, when there were huge changes. There are a huge variety of types of anxiety and personally when I came across it, I immediately came to the conclusion that it needs to be treated with https://www.koalitymedicinals.com/, since my friends spoke very positively about this product, which I can't disagree with them!

·
Registered
17,977 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sooner or later, marijuana will be legalized everywhere, no matter if people are against it or not. One of the biggest reasons, in my opinion, besides it’s medicinal and recreational use, is that the government will have access to a fresh big taxation source to rake in the money. People will have the option to decide if they want to use it or not, but ultimately the government will benefit from this. Meanwhile I use from time to time the best kratom, which has similar properties as marijuana, and be safe since it’s not declared illegal in most states.

·
Registered
20,627 Posts
WE HAVE A CONSTITUTION 2nd Ammend. that says WE HAVE THE RIGHT TO OWN AND BEAR FIREARMS. Many of the states seem to have a problem understanding that!!!!! The DUMOCRATS don't understand it!!!! They do NOT have a problem violating our 2nd Ammend. rights!!!! THEY DON"T HAVE ANY PROBLEM VIOLATING THE CONSTUTUTION!!!
What don't they understand??? Maybe.......plain English??? Bob

·
Premium Member
12,311 Posts
The Second Amendment has been routinely infringed upon for decades. 22,000 laws at all governmental levels.

Regardless of the words, all it takes to infringe on your gun rights is a legislature to pass a law, either a governor, mayor or county president to sign it or the legislature to override the veto, and courts that refuse to overturn the infringement.

The reason that there are so many infringements is that the "balance" of legal philosophy tended toward "lax scrutiny" until the Heller and MacDonald decisions where Justice Antonin Scalia changed the standard to "intermediate scrutiny". The earlier philosophy basically said, "do anything you want to, and interpret law and the constitution any way you want". Intermediate scrutiny allows some "wiggle room" but requires justification based on legal precedent.

Thanks to President Trump's three conservative Justices on the Supreme Court, we are now shifting toward "strict scrutiny" which interprets the constitution to mean exactly what it says - without interpretation or "updating" to "modern standards". That will help us regarding Second Amendment infringement.

But... if the Leftists manage to expand and pack the court - all bets are off. This is critically important.

When it comes to Federal versus State and Local laws, typically Federal law respects the supremacy of individual states. Guns and drugs are two of the areas where Federal law routinely trumps State law. That is the case with the laws that authorized the ATF to infringe on your Second Amendment rights if you violate Federal drug law. It's irrelevant if states allow you to use drugs and you do it in violation of Federal law. Use drugs unlawfully (including prescription medication), and no guns. Get caught and become a "prohibited person" with a special place in NICS...

·
Registered
2 Posts
I knew about this, but in my opinion, it is not a rational law. Well, I understand the reason, but the truth is that you can not interdict a gun license, and marijuana license in case that person uses marijuana products for treatment purposes. Also, it depends on what products use that person. For example, I use Weed edibles, which I buy from this online store THC Weed Edibles Canada aka Cannabis Edibles | Free Joints w/ Orders, but this doesn't mean I am drug-addicted, or I can not control myself, so I think that this law is reasonable, but should be revisualized and corrected.

·
Registered
99 Posts
When I had a blasting license to transport, use and detonate high explosives we were subject to random drug testing. Refusal to be tested resulted in revocation of your license. I wouldn't want to see it happen with gun permits, but it wouldn't surprise me if it did. The left could use it to eliminate some of the current gun owners. I'm not a user but don't like overreaching government control of every aspect over our lives.

·
Registered
17,977 Posts
When I had a blasting license to transport, use and detonate high explosives we were subject to random drug testing. Refusal to be tested resulted in revocation of your license. I wouldn't want to see it happen with gun permits, but it wouldn't surprise me if it did. The left could use it to eliminate some of the current gun owners. I'm not a user but don't like overreaching government control of every aspect over our lives.
In England, if you are caught reckless driving or DUI you can lose your gun privileges

·
Registered
17,977 Posts
This isn't THAT new, Scalia (see below) said it in 2007
Thanks to President Trump's three conservative Justices on the Supreme Court, we are now shifting toward "strict scrutiny" which interprets the constitution to mean exactly what it says - without interpretation or "updating" to "modern standards". That will help us regarding Second Amendment infringement.
Justice Scalia, a Catholic, described himself as an “originalist,” someone who sees the Constitution as a democratically adopted legal document that does not change.

“It is that rock to which the republic is anchored,” he said. “The Constitution says some things and doesn’t say others.

“If the Constitution does not speak to a matter, it’s for the democratic process to provide an answer,” he said. “If you want something, you persuade your fellow citizens that it’s a good idea and pass a law.”

Justice Scalia said that “over the past 40 or 50 years, the philosophy of a living, or evolving, Constitution has become popular. It is enormously seductive. You think everything you care about passionately is there in the Constitution. Everything comes out the way you want it to.”

He rejected the idea, saying that the Constitution “is not an empty bottle to be filled up by each generation.”

Justice Scalia said, “Rights that never used to exist now do, because the court says so.”

The danger of allowing the court to find such rights, he said, is that it stifles debate.

“Once you read that ‘no state can prohibit abortion,’ there is no use debating it. Abortion has been driven off the democratic stage, coast to coast,” he said, preventing individual states from passing laws that reflect the wishes of their residents.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Use of marijuana, medical or otherwise, with or without a valid prescription makes the possession of a firearm illegal. This includes the state of Florida and in every other state in the U.S.A. This topic has been widely written on and continues to be a hot topic. Neither a private seller nor an FFL can lawfully sell a firearm to a person who they know or have reason to believe uses marijuana. I must say that I love marijuana, but at the same time, I try to stay away from guns, because they are dangerous, and too often in the US guns get into unsafe hands. I use Sativa strains anyway, and the feeling that I get after makes it impossible for me to even think about guns.
Seems the strain has strained your logic. Guns are not dangerous. People who misuse them are.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Use of marijuana, medical or otherwise, with or without a valid prescription makes the possession of a firearm illegal. This includes the state of Florida and in every other state in the U.S.A. This topic has been widely written on and continues to be a hot topic. Neither a private seller nor an FFL can lawfully sell a firearm to a person who they know or have reason to believe uses marijuana. I must say that I love marijuana, but at the same time, I try to stay away from guns, because they are dangerous, and too often in the US guns get into unsafe hands. I use Sativa strains anyway, and the feeling that I get after makes it impossible for me to even think about guns.
Curious first post on a gun forum that "guns are dangerous".

41 - 60 of 64 Posts