Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
6,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Weeding Out Guns: Why It?s Illegal To Have Both - News9.com - Oklahoma City, OK - News, Weather, Video and Sports |

Oklahoma just past laws making medical Marijuana legel in the State. Now this:

If you own a gun and are hoping to get a medical marijuana license -- think again.
Having both violates federal law. Simply put, Oklahomans are not going to be able to legally have both. That's because the federal law views people with a medical marijuana card as someone who is an "unlawful user" or someone "addicted to a controlled substance."

·
Registered
14,054 Posts
Havent yet heard of the feds going around Colorado, California or other states and collecting guns from those with a marijuana license, but I suppose they could. Would the state have to comply with a federal request to turn over a list of those with a medical marijuana card? If not, how would the federal government know who has one? Does the state even have a list or is that information held in a persons medical records? Medical marijuana recently became legal in PA but I don't know much about the process

·
Registered
6,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
ATF Form 4473, Firearms Transaction Record

“The use or possession of marijuana remains unlawful under Federal law regardless of whether it has been legalized or decriminalized for medicinal or recreational purposes in the state where you reside.”

That warning follows original language in the form that requires a buyer to answer yes or no to a question about whether he or she is “an unlawful user of, or addicted to, marijuana or any depressant, stimulant, narcotic drug, or any other controlled substance.”

Feds spell it out: No gun for you if you fire up in a pot-legal state | The Colorado Independent

Can you own a gun if you use marijuana?

The feds say no. State law is silent. And updated language from the federal department of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives on its gun-transaction paperwork has people once again talking about the conflict between state law and federal law.

·
Registered
6,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The Feds say you can't buy a gun if you have a license for medical marijuana.

Does that also mean if have guns before you get a license for medical marijuana you have to give them up?

Reactions: Atypical

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
We did have a customer that got a medical marijuna card tell us he got a letter telling him to turn in his guns. Haven't seen him in store for a couple of months. Guess they are working at getting guns back.?

·
Registered
6,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ignorance of the law is no excuse. Now, if we only had some way of knowing what the laws were would be nice. Contradicting laws make it almost impossible to know what the laws are.

Reactions: TC45

·
Registered
23,400 Posts
Not to be rude but what kind of nincompoop would use a drug that stays in your system for 30-60 days & think they're safe w/ a gun, car, heavy machinery? Marijuana is against federal law no matter what the state laws allow, federal law overrules state. You can't claim to be a good law-abiding gun owner & blatantly violate federal law. By the same token I hope everyone is clever enough to not mix alcohol w/ guns, cars, etc. as well as prescription meds that may affect your safety. For the record I don't use any alcohol or drugs (legal or illegal) @ all & usually have a gun handy.

·
Super Moderator
8,973 Posts
I don’t smoke pot nor eat pot or do anything with pot, but the dang stuff should be legal. The money to be made from taxing the stuff would be astronomical. Also you just stopped a major part of drug smuggling and money going to cartels. I’m guessing a drunk person is way more dangerous than a stoned person.

·
Banned
16,608 Posts
So we are going through the medical Mary Jane crap in the township right now. I've found out some interesting facts. One, the new strains of cannabis are loaded with THC to the point that a toke and you are blasted. 2. It's against Federal Law for any dispensary or grow operation to deposit any funds in any bank. 3. You need a full time police department to handle the 'traffic', aka: dopers. 3. Most operations are financed by individuals or companies that reside offshore so the profit leaves the country anyway.

I blew some dope when I was younger but this stuff today, we don't need it.

·
Registered
6,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
In the summer of 1972, I played on an adult male Anchorage, Alaska fastpitch softball team that won the Alaskan State Championship. Our sponsor flew us down to the Seattle-Tacoma airport where we drove two white station wagons to the Regional 9 Tournament in Medford, Oregon. We played one game at the ball field at the VA Hospital there.

·
Registered
4,216 Posts
So we are going through the medical Mary Jane crap in the township right now. I've found out some interesting facts. One, the new strains of cannabis are loaded with THC to the point that a toke and you are blasted. 2. It's against Federal Law for any dispensary or grow operation to deposit any funds in any bank. 3. You need a full time police department to handle the 'traffic', aka: dopers. 3. Most operations are financed by individuals or companies that reside offshore so the profit leaves the country anyway.

I blew some dope when I was younger but this stuff today, we don't need it.
We don't need any prescription drugs nor do we need alcohol or tobacco.

Perhaps make any alcohol illegal, the stuff is just to strong. Remember how well that worked out.:eek:

Alcohol should be a schedule/class 1 drug. It serves no medical purpose! Right up there with heroin, LSD and cocaine. Oh ya and Pot.

Remember, alcohol and nicotine are the Gateway drugs to Pot.

Don't text and drive now OK?

·
Registered
2,460 Posts

Perhaps make any alcohol illegal, the stuff is just to strong. Remember how well that worked out.:eek:

Alcohol should be a schedule/class 1 drug. It serves no medical purpose! Right up there with heroin, LSD and cocaine. Oh ya and Pot.

100% true and correct. I'm a recovering alcoholic and pot smoker. My romance with addictive substances started with cigarettes, then booze before I finally tried pot. Why? Because they are both legal and easier to obtain. If we are going to keep pot legal because it is a "gateway drug" to harder drug usage, then it makes no sense for alcohol & tobacco to be legal since they are the ORIGINAL "gateway drugs" for pretty much every one who has ever used illegal drugs.

Not to mention that alcohol is far more destructive to a users life and health - and to the rest of society - than pot will ever be. Of course this rational view will be rejected by many, because alcohol is their drug of choice, so it can't be compared to the evil demon weed. :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
12,311 Posts
So, what are a bunch of failed policies among government agency friends?

Some see a "gotcha"! One more foolish private citizen that thinks their self defense rights cannot be trumped by their medical needs... and complex layers of law.

Some see opportunity (AKA Central American Drug Cartels)...

Some see continuing failed policies leading to an unsuccessful society... one filled with corruption, unfair influence and unnecessary danger...

I'm not interested in using them, but making these drugs a medical problem instead of a criminal one that enables corruption, drug gangs and international crime cartels makes more sense to me.

When something doesn't work, why not do more of it to try and make it successful? This is the very formula for failure.

·
Super Moderator
34,033 Posts
I’m guessing a drunk person is way more dangerous than a stoned person.
That has been my experience when around either one. The drunks have always seemed to lose a LOT more of their thinking and motor skills faculties. The drunk person typically drinks until they can't walk, speak, they think ugly people are good looking(beer goggles) while the stoned person gets more mellow and laid back. Medical marijuana should have been legal long ago at the federal level, it has been proven to help with things like nausea from chemo and other issues, BUT it does need to be more closely handled on when given so that it doesn't become a cure all for everything a person complains about so the drug is prescribed nonstop for anything whether real or that they just want to get high for the purpose of getting high instead of something that will alleviate pain, nausea, etc.

·
Banned
16,608 Posts
Bad breath and munchies too.....:D

·
Banned
16,608 Posts

First off, I'm a substance abuser, 32 years off the bottle and I never text or yak on the phone and drive, don't believe in that crap. besides my car has Bluetooth hands free if and I say if I answer the phone which, I don't. My cell phone and SAT phone are there for one reason, emergency.

·
Registered
15,955 Posts
In Oregon pot is legal. We started out with medical marijuana, they had clinics where you could walk in off the street and tell them you stubbed your toe or had some other pain. Old doctor Feelgood would fix you up with a medical marijuana card for a slight fee. That's how hard they were to get. Then the people voted to legalize it for every adult, and to be honest the biggest difference I see are marijuana stores every where. The state has made a ton of money with taxes in the millions, the first year they took in double what they expected. Right now the say there is a huge over supply of pot in the state and prices are at rock bottom.

When I see a lot of these true cop shows they seem to be finding pot in every car they stop, on with the bracelets, and off for a ride in a big black and white taxi. Most of those incidents wouldn't be an issue here. Depending on the amount you have of course. I would much rather the cops go after tweakers, speed freaks are really dangerous.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts