Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a mdl 36 no dash, with a '63-'65 build date per the serial #. It's a standard Chiefs special.. non adj sights, 2" blued, square butt.

The pistol is in excellent shape. No holster wear at all. There is a faint line around the cylinder at the lock line. It does not have the flat latch, and from what I've read... it should? Maybe not.

I'm just curious what y'all think it is worth. Looking online, the values seem to be all over the board..

I'll never sell it, I'd just like to know.

Obviously it's the middle one. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
10,432 Posts
$100 bucks. What? You said you'd never sell it, so why not a low-ball estimate? I could have easily have said $1K! ;) If you're looking for an insurance value, you should contact your insurance agent because that's all that will matter with a loss. If however, you just might possibly, secretly, perhaps 'in a blue moon way of thinking' be considering selling this gun, then listen to my fellow Forum members, I'm refraining more and more on value estimates. Good luck on the future sale of your Chief's Special, they're good guns and you'll regret letting the old gal go.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replies guys. It's about what I figured.

I've only sold 3 pistols. Ever. They were guns that had no personal value to me. I took each of them in trade with the plan to sell and replace them with something I actually wanted.

The Chief Special is a keeper. The other ones I'll evenually add to the collection are a mdl 37, a Colt Cobra, and a Colt Agent. All 4 of these were pistols my dad owned and I shot regularly as a kid.

He had a half dozen Colt SA's too, but those are getting a bit steep now.

·
Premium Member
Model 27 and Model 19 (early builds)
3,579 Posts
...The Chief Special is a keeper. The other ones I'll evenually add to the collection are a mdl 37, a Colt Cobra, and a Colt Agent. All 4 of these were pistols my dad owned and I shot regularly as a kid.

He had a half dozen Colt SA's too, but those are getting a bit steep now.
I agree that the Model 36 Chief's Special is a keeper.

The S&W revolvers are easy to work on when something may come up. The older Colt revolvers are not easy to work on, and the good gunsmiths are hard to find today.

I can't get my photo's (internet site is down), but the S&W has an easy side plate. The Colt is like trying to open a Pandora box. JMO.

Reactions: Injunbro
1 - 9 of 9 Posts