Smith And Wesson Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
81 - 100 of 116 Posts

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
I hope everybody knows that the testing that's happening right now is pretty useless.

They don't have enough contact tracers in the current hotspot states to trace the trail of who has been exposed.

So testing really does NOTHING useful.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
Should have guessed it: the Left-Coast.

Now I can't blame him for his mask-mania! If I had the misfortune to reside in such a left-wing swamp, I TOO would mask-up, even to step out to my mailbox!
Again, your ignorance is showing. Spokane and the left coast are so different that we've been trying for about 30 years to secede from the west coast of the state and form a new conservative state with north Idaho.
Infectious diseases don't recognize geography.
What is your explanation for our hospitalizations doubling in one week, just two weeks after we entered Stage 2 of re-opening?
I realize that the increased number of positive tests is inflated by increased testing. The more you look for something the more you find it. Again, logical.
But why the doubling of the number of people sick enough to be hospitalized? That has nothing to do with testing. The only reasonable explanation is more people catching it. A lot more people.
And why the flare up TWO WEEKS later for a virus that takes right around two weeks to incubate into serious illness?
Put aside attacking the messenger and the geography of the messenger and deal with the facts.
Got ANY kind of alternative rational explanation?

·
Premium Member
6,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #83 (Edited)
Why don't you get it that wearing the mask isn't about protecting you? Did you read my explanation about surgical masks in the operating room? Did you not understand some part of it?

Since you earned the Iggy button from one of the most well respected Forum members... I will reply to that. Keith says he wears an N95 mask. Those can and do help protect the wearer. What type of mask do you wear?

My guess is that much of the hysteria is from those who are so smart, well informed and scientifically knowledgeable that they never thought to be prepared with quality masks, and are stuck wearing some crap cloth mask or ten cent paper surgical mask.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
I did that a few days ago; amazing how nice the treads are now.............
BC38
Quote "because you are politically opposed to masks."

I'm not politically opposed to masks....Just the nut jobs that can't mind their own business.

Mr. BC 38,
By reading your post, I can't put much credence in your opinions at all.
But, on the brighter side....You are the first to make my ignore list.
I don't champion radicals. So, I bid you farewell and good luck in your campaign for masks for all.

PERFECT! If you come up against someone making logical arguments that you can't answer, but that refute your opinions, if you can't shout them down, just stick your head in the sand and ignore the messenger!

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
Since you earned the Iggy button from one of the most respected Forum members... I will reply to that. Keith says he wears an N95 mask. Those can and do help protect the wearer. What type of mask do you wear?

My guess is that much of the hysteria is from those who are so smart, well informed and scientifically knowledgeable that they never thought to be prepared with quality masks, and are stuck wearing some crap cloth mask or ten cent paper surgical mask.
I have a small supply of N95 masks and wear them in more congested crowded environments when I can't avoid them. And yes, I spray them with alcohol-based disinfectant spray periodically, so that I can re-use them. Just like the medical professionals did when the masks were in short supply.
I have a couple of nicely fitted three-layer masks (cloth-filter material-cloth) that I wear in most other situations. I regularly disinfect them as well.
But I'll say it yet again (since somehow the message isn't getting through) I wear a mask more to protect OTHERS than to protect myself. Why? Because I can't be tested every day to know I don't have it and am not spreading it around. The fact that I get at least some protection from the mask too is a bonus, but if I were to cause someone else to get sick, or God forbid die, because I had it, didn't know it, and gave it to them I'd have a hard time dealing with that.

P.S. Being put on a "respected member's" ignore list doesn't bother me. I respect his knowledge of S&W firearms, but that doesn't make him right about everything. If he prefers to ignore me rather than debate me, so be it. What I don't get is if he wears an N95 to protect himself, why such strenuous objection to someone advocating that everyone do so? If everyone did it voluntarily the state government wouldn't feel the need to force it. Politics over common sense. I just don't get it.

People have questioned my motives. I have exactly ONE motive. To see us beat this thing and get back as close to normal as possible, just as soon as possible, and with the least suffering and loss possible. One of my main reasons for wanting that is that I want to see the President get credit for leading us out of the crisis - rather than get blamed for a second wave. We cannot afford for him to lose in November. I remember how quickly the media was able to turn the country against George Bush Sr. by harping on the economy. The current situation gives them both a poor economy AND a health crisis to harp on and bludgeon the president with. We NEED to have some real recovery NOW if he's going to win in November. The quickest way to get that started and knock the legs out from under the media's smear campaign is to get this thing under control and get things rolling again.

·
Premium Member
6,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
I went to the dentist a couple weeks ago. Mouth wide open for 30 minutes or so while the dental hygientist's face was just inches from mine, and using tools that aerosolize any bacteria or virus in the mouth. Now that's exposure! Considering the number of people who visit the dentist for routine cleanings plus periodontists, endodontists, oral surgeons, orthodontists... those people must have pretty high confidence that the masks they're wearing protect them.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
I went to the dentist a couple weeks ago. Mouth wide open for 30 minutes or so while the dental hygientist's face was just inches from mine, and using tools that aerosolize any bacteria or virus in the mouth. Now that's exposure! Considering the number of people who visit the dentist for routine cleanings plus periodontists, endodontists, oral surgeons, orthodontists... those people must have pretty high confidence that the masks they're wearing protect them. i
I guess. I don't think I'd do it. What kind of mask was she wearing?
I went for a cleaning a couple of weeks ago and my hygienist wore both an N95 mask AND a wrap-around face shield.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
I'm sure it was an N95 respirator (not a paper surgeons's mask). No shield.
Like this?

That and a face shield is what they were using during my appointment.
Mine aren't the blue health care version, they are the white industrial version.

·
Premium Member
6,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #90
She was wearing a blue one. Doc had one on when he came in for a look-see. Large practice with probably dozen hygienists all confined in small rooms (no doors). Masks must work pretty good else they'd all be out.

·
Registered
208 Posts
You bet man. Make people with asthma and COPD wear them too - even if it means they can't breathe. Lets put them on infants too! No exceptions.
Absolutes are for children. Only children scream "It's not FAIR, how come HE doesn't have to wear one!" News flash: there is an exception to every rule, and life ain't always "fair".
FWIW, not being able to read the lips of the ONE person who is translating is more than an "inconvenience" for the deaf. Do you have any empathy at all?
Again, you refuse to answer questions. Instead, you go into attack mode "only children scream" "news flash, there is an exception to every rule" "life ain't always fair" when you scream (like a child) that everybody must comply, to your satisfaction; you are willing to grant exceptions only to the people you and your fellow mask police deem worthy with the caveat "life ain't fair."

So until this whole thing blows over, your posts are not going to be visible to me. I've read other posts of yours (on other subjects) that I liked, but this endless harping about masks is more than I care to read. It's a shame, but as you say, "life ain't fair."

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
I was out today.....
Saw a few folks wearing masks.
I was so busy minding my own business...I didn't have time to mind any of their's.
Masks or no masks, the world will not stop turning.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
Again, you refuse to answer questions. Instead, you go into attack mode "only children scream" "news flash, there is an exception to every rule" "life ain't always fair" when you scream (like a child) that everybody must comply, to your satisfaction; you are willing to grant exceptions only to the people you and your fellow mask police deem worthy with the caveat "life ain't fair."

So until this whole thing blows over, your posts are not going to be visible to me. I've read other posts of yours (on other subjects) that I liked, but this endless harping about masks is more than I care to read. It's a shame, but as you say, "life ain't fair."
You're right, I shouldn't have been focusing on your demeanor. Instead I should have kept my eye on the ball and pointed you right back to my original reply - because the answer to your question was in there, you just weren't reading it with enough of an open mind to pick up on it. In that reply I said that "someone 20-30 feet away not wearing a mask is your justification for nobody wearing masks?" or words to that effect. Even the strictest mask requirements imposed by governors don't require you to wear a mask if you are staying 20-30 feet away from other people. Neither do the CDC guidelines, or the recommendations by Dr Fauchi, VP Pence, etc.

So that is where your example is invalid and the answer to your question all in one. The deaf interpreter is NOT less than 6 feet from anyone, and is in fact maintaining 3-5 times that recommended minimum social distance. Therefore they are not required to wear a mask. If it were possible for them to still do their job while wearing a mask, then that would be even better. But that isn't possible and the deaf have a right to be served too. It is a balance and we can't let our desire for the perfect be the enemy of the good. Or to put it another way, you can't throw the baby out with the bathwater. The fact that SOME people in SOME situations can't wear a mask is not a valid reason for saying nobody should wear them or even a valid reason to say that everyone who CAN shouldn't be wearing one.

Of course since you've chosen to stick your fingers in your ears and say "NANANANANANANA I CAN'T HEAR YOU", so you won't even see this reply, but there it is anyway.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Again, your ignorance is showing. Spokane and the left coast are so different that we've been trying for about 30 years to secede from the west coast of the state and form a new conservative state with north Idaho.
If that's true, I admit to being wrong about it--as wrong as you are in prescribing how I & my friends should be living our lives.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
The one I'm FORCED to wear to avoid starvation is a worn-out threadbare bandana so loosely tied it's constantly slipping off; just for show, of course.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Phil,
I predict that these fancy mask will be all the rage....
Looks like they will also have matching accessories as well !!!

This post play'd in Jest...Please jest keep those cards and letters

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
It is really easy to dismiss the suffering and death when it is people somewhere else in some "big liberal city" (I happen to live in a moderately sized conservative city of 150k myself).
But when you live in a small community of 1000 or 2000 and this thing comes calling, the seriously ill and dead are going to be your neighbors and other people you know, or at least loved ones of people you know.
When that happens, and it is too late to stop it spreading, all your "justifications" for not doing what you can to reduce the spread and the misery are going to sound even more lame.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
You have any friends except on here? I'm amazed.
Here? If you count internet connections as "friends," you're desperate indeed. As desperate as you obviously are to think up some come-back for my pointing out the flagrant BS of your previously claiming you were "so tired" of discussing this subject...& then starting a new thread on it 2 days later!

Anyway, as manager of a club rifle range with 200 members, I've got plenty of friends, meet with several almost every day, & EVERYBODY in my small town knows I'm "the man to call" for info on joining our club. NONE of them submit to mask idiocy except when forced to by their employers, or when shopping at a store requiring it.

And for others who may be reading this, think about what a brainless POS a guy would have to be to make such an ignorant statement about someone he knew NOTHING about!

81 - 100 of 116 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.