Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I traded for a Marlin 336 in .35 Remington last year. The receiver is not drilled and tapped for a receiver sight. Was this a cost cutting move for Marlin?

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
Wouldn't surprise me. Most American hunters are scope-crazy and only a few of us still like receiver sights on our carbines and light rifles. maybe they figured, "Why bother?"

As an example, one of my neighbors has a huge Simmons 4x-12x A/O mounted on his 336....turned his handy carbine into an unwieldy hunting tool. I had advised him to consider a Williams - or a compact 4x if he had to go to an optical. His is fairly recent manufacture - and has the two holes for mounting receiver sights.

xtm

·
Registered
4,216 Posts
There are receiver sights that fit on the top. Not "classic" but work. See Carl's picture in the other marlin thread.

·
Administrator
8,094 Posts
Stinger, I'll save you some poking around in old threads.

Here's the sight that Jim's talking about. It's a Skinner sight that I put on my Marlin 1894. I found out about these on the Marlin forum.

These have a screw-in aperture that you can change out to different sizes. I have two sizes; one very small for target and sight adjustment and one regular for most any other time. You also can just leave the aperture out and use a ghost ring.

The set up is fully adjustable, too. Very ingenious little set up. I like it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts