Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I traded (+cash) for a 1892 Marlin 32 long yesterday at the Tulsa show. The old gun is still in good condition, bore is in good condition. This one was made in 1908. My question is, are these actions
Strong enough for max or near loads in 32 s&w. I'll try to post a couple of pics.
Cliff

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
That's a beauty i would think the marlin action would be strong enough lead bullets loaded to reasonable loads

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
Very nice Marlin. The 1892 is a relatively strong action and should handle any reasonable (i.e.) in the manual type load. Don't know if the older S&W .32 would feed in a gun chambered in .32 S&W long.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
My lyman handbook # 39 printed in 1953 list 32 s&w long 80 grain cast plain base lead max 2.7 bullseye vel 910 and max unique 4.3 vel 1010
100 grain cast plain base 2.1 bullseye @ 745 and unique 4.0 @ 980

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
I saw one go at auction a few years back and if I recall they were made for a 32 rim fire and you could change the firing pin and shoot center fire. The question is is the S&W long the same cartridge. Might want to slug the barrel and do a chamber cast to see what you are working with. Looks like a fun project I enjoy making old guns bark again

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Be interesting if a 32 s&w long case fits the chamber. Based on what I can find 32 rim fire bullet dia. .316 case diameter .318
OAL is about the same
32s&w bullet do a .312 base dia..337.possible someone in the past my have teamed the chamber

·
Registered
386 Posts
That gun is chambered for the 32 Long rimfire and the 32 Long Colt rounds. The S&W won't work unless the barrel is rechambered and the action reworked. They originally came with two firing pins, one for rimfire and one for centerfire use. Unfortunately, both of these cartridges have been out of production for a very long time and are difficult and expensive to find and buy. Another issue is that the 32 rimfire and the 32 Colt rounds both used heeled bullets that were outside lubed. A bullet that will fit in the case will be too small and will not be accurate. Other than that, they are great little rifles!

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sure wish someone had told me that yesterday. Had I know it wouldn't shoot them I wouldn't have fired the 40 rounds or so that I did.
image.jpeg
c
image.jpeg

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No colt on them anywhere. I've got some 313 cast over a load of 2400 to try out next. Here is some better pics.
Cliff c
image.jpeg

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
That's a beautiful old Marlin, Cliff. I see them fairly often at sales hereabouts. Haven't seen one that I could afford though. I would like to have a rifle in 32 S&W Long. The are so much easier to reload than the 32-20. A rechambered Remington #4, or better yet a #2, rolling block would be the cat's meow in my book. In addition to the larger case diameter, 32 S&W is also over 1/10" longer than the 32 LC.
Here's an old WRA 32 LC beside a new Magtech 32 S&W Long.

The LC will almost fits inside an empty 32 S&W case.
I would guess that your old Marlin was rechambered at some time. Certainly a plus in my book. You can always load a larger diameter bullet if accuracy isn't there with .312" bullets.
Redoing an old single shot would require the firing pin to be relocated in addition to the chamber being reamed out. That's where your Marlin has an edge with the dual firing pin. Some of the old H&A single shot riles that were chambered for 32 RF long were converted to 32 LC by adjusting the linkage in the breach block. Haven't found one of them... yet!
Have fun with that one Cliff... I'm more than a little envious!

John

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Accuracy wasn't great. I was shooting some real lite unique loads I'd made up for the little
Pimp gun. They will get up enough speed to exit the 3 1/4 in barrel on it. Gonna keep the peep sight down next trip and check the group at 25.
Cliff

·
Registered
386 Posts
Just for the record, here are the specs for both 32 Long Colt and for 32 S&W cartridges. The Smith case is .019" bigger in diameter than the Colt case. If the Smith cartridges fit then the chamber has been reamed out. Good luck with your Marlin!

32 Long Colt

Bullet diameter.312 in (7.9 mm)
Neck diameter.313 in (8.0 mm)
Base diameter.318 in (8.1 mm)
Rim diameter.374 in (9.5 mm)
Case length0.92 in (23 mm)
Overall length1.26 in (32 mm)
Rifling twist1:16
Primer typesmall pistol

32 S&W
Parent case.32 S&W
Case typeRimmed, straight
Bullet diameter.312 in (7.9 mm)
Neck diameter.337 in (8.6 mm)
Base diameter.337 in (8.6 mm)
Rim diameter.375 in (9.5 mm)
Rim thickness.055 in (1.4 mm)
Case length.920 in (23.4 mm)
Overall length1.280 in (32.5 mm)
Primer typeSmall pistol
Maximum pressure15,000 psi (100 MPa)

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I went to the range yesterday. We took the32 Marlin and a sp 101 in 32 mag. I didn't like the results on the reloads I did for the rifle. I need to stick to lower or starting loads.
I'm getting close to a load that will feed and shoot like I want. these older Marlins require
a little getting used to. It's easy enough to cause it to try to double feed.
I had the old gun running good yesterday. I could hit the golf ball on the string at 25 yds
with open sights. I just need my order of bullets from Rimrock to get here.
Cliff.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Nice to see it barking well. Do you think a hollow based bullet would help your accuracy? What kind of back log does Rimrock have? Lots of jackets bullets just are listed out of stock.

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The lady at the desk at Rimrock said they were looking at a 8 week backlog on all orders.
Can hardly believe there are that many folks shooting 32 swc cast bullets. The 100gr swc or rnfp are shooting very well. As long as I can hit a golf ball at 25 yds I'll be happy.
Cliff

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
I ordered jackets 9 mms for a friend from Rocky Mountain reloading and was told the same. Best I've been able to buy small pistol primers on gun broker is about 0.17 each. It does not seem to be improving!

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Just looked on gun broker and some 100 grain 32 are for sale at a buy it now price 0.37. That's worse than the 45s I bought for my friend at 0.20. I have a box of 500 .313 @ 115 grain i would share with you if you want to try some let me know if you are interested

1 - 20 of 21 Posts