Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a Marlin Camp Carbine Model 45 back when they first came out (four digit serial number). It's taken me quite a few years, but I've finally got it set up they way I've always wanted.

Marlin Model 45 Camp Carbine
Choate folding stock
Blackjack recoil buffer
Wolff 21 pound recoil spring
Ed Brown 8-Pack magazines
Tactical Tailor single point sling
Red dot reflex sight on Weaver base
Inverted Weaver base secured to forearm through sling swivel threads mounting a tactical light (extra batteries in the pistol grip)

The Wolff spring has made the carbine totally reliable and it groups tight. 230 grain jacketed hollowpoint .45's out of the 16" barrel pack some wallop. I can make headshots at 50 yards and torso shots at 100. It's not an offensive rifle, but rather the ultimate self defense carbine for me.

-Steve

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Does yours pitch spent brass out about 40-50 feet? :) Or is there some reduced power spring or another way to prevent that? I had a 45 Camp, but got tired of chasing the brass...sold that thing.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The factory recoil spring was only 11 pounds. The recoil buffer was plastic and it hardened over time. The combination of the two caused the buffer to explode eventually. The new buffer is resin and won't degrade. The new recoil spring throws the brass even further! It doesn't bother me though.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
I've got one of those in 9mm. It's stock and is my go to rifle for the yard. It packs a pretty good wallop and most likely won't put any of my well-distanced neighbors at risk if I miss with it...

·
Registered
20,170 Posts
Very "Tacticool" looking. Probably much safer for the neighbors than the long range .223 round. ;) Bob

G

·
0 Posts
I don't care who you are....that gun looks like it would be a hoot to shoot... :mrgreen:

giz

·
Super Moderator
33,397 Posts
Gizamo said:
I don't care who you are....that gun looks like it would be a hoot to shoot... :mrgreen:

giz
I agree, Giz. That one looks like it would be fun to shoot. kfjdrfirii

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I had it at the range and several officers fired it. They didn't want to stop. The knowledgable "gun guys" were impressed with the accuracy and the "feel" of the little carbine. They also liked the knock down power of the .45 cartridge and the interchangability of 1911 pistol magazines.

The others who weren't gun guys really liked the complete and utter lack of recoil. They though that all "rifles" kicked their shoulders hard. The addition of a synthetic stock and the proper spring and buffer makes this a handy little carbine.

I'm glad you all like it. It's fun to share!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts