Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've always had a weakness for lever guns and old calibers that remain viable in today's shooting. When growing up, I remember Pop and Dad speaking highly of the 35 Remington caliber. Today at the Mesa Gun Show, some cowboy wanted my Model 59 bottom feeder and he offered me a swap that I just couldn't refuse.....

Marlin336-35Rem_01.JPG

Marlin336-35Rem_02.JPG

Scope is an inexpensive 4 power Tasco (it's clear and seems okay). The look-up file lists this as 1955 production, the blue finish shows some wear (no rust, just thinning blue) and the furniture looks nice (seems to be original finish with a few minor handling marks). Obviously, it's been well cared for.

Nostalgia......................

·
Registered
12,696 Posts
That looks great to me Geezer. I really like lever action rifles. Savage 99's and Marlin 336's are my favorites. Winchester model 94's never really did much for me, but the Marlins like yours have some style. Of the Marlins, I prefer the carbine length with 3/4 length magazine tube, just like the one you have there

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Oooooh, 1955, could it possibly be pre-microgroove?
If that's the case you have my undying jealousy.

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
Hey Geeze,

GREAT SCORE! The .35 is a very fine rifle.

Later, Mark

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Great rifle, great caliber, great vintage.

You scored.

·
Registered
17,528 Posts
Excellent trade Geeze. I have wanted a Lever 35 but most I see are running high. Now just let us know how it shoots. I would accidentally lose the scope as I just think my levers should be iron sights.

·
Registered
19,790 Posts
Donna's Uncle had an old Marlin like that, in .35 Marlin, and with a Weaver 2 1/2x scope. He used to go deer hunting, up in Vermont, every year since he was a young man. He died several years ago, from Mesothelioma..... inhaling too much asbestos at his construction job. Bob

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
Nice rifle! I had one that I picked up at a bargain price. Due to a case of visual aids (bi-focals), I couldn't see the iron sights worth a darn. I didn't want to scope it, so when I saw an add from a guy that wanted to trade a TC Encore in .25-06 for my exact rifle, I jumped on the trade. The TC turned out to me the most accurate rifle I've ever owned. I don't have a picture of the .35, but here's the TC.
downsized_0929130919.jpg

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
More strange factoids, 1955 should also be a Waffel Top .

So Geese, The charm of non-microgroove 35 Rem. ,,,,,,, from my strange perspective.
The standard microgroove 35 Rem is a dandy big ole mid range meat hammer with jacketed 150 - 200 grain bullets . Not a lot of speed but more smack down than a 30-30.
But for me the real fun comes in finding its lower to middle ground with lower velocities ,357 pistol bullets (way cheaper than rifle bullets) and often pistol powder. I think of it as the next step up extending a 357 lever gun, capable of running 158 to 180 grain jacket pistol bullets at 1500 to 2000 fps. Bunny buster supreme ! All this fun can still happen with microgroove barrels.
But the next step is cast bullets and here the microgroove kinda sucks. Guys do play games with diameter and hardness and claim they can make it work. But the Ballard rifling make it easy.

The smaller (212 gr.) bullets work pretty well in my microgroovers .and I have run up to about 1800 fps. The bigger one is for my .358 Win.

Large animal hunters shoot them as is but the down load brings all kind of fun and versatility to the table. As luck would have it 444 Marlin shares the same relationship with pistol bullets and make a dandy extension for a 44 mag lever gun. Just saying.95876yt

Hey Bill ,by the way . If you run into a brick wall finding affordable factory ammo (It can be elusive) get in touch . I have a healthy stash old stock Remington and can get ya set up.:D

·
Premium Member
13,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
So Geese, The charm of non-microgroove 35 Rem. ,,,,,,, from my strange perspective.
The standard microgroove 35 Rem is a dandy big ole mid range meat hammer with jacketed 150 - 200 grain bullets . Not a lot of speed but more smack down than a 30-30.
But for me the real fun comes in finding its lower to middle ground with lower velocities ,357 pistol bullets (way cheaper than rifle bullets) and often pistol powder. I think of it as the next step up extending a 357 lever gun, capable of running 158 to 180 grain jacket pistol bullets at 1500 to 2000 fps. Bunny buster supreme ! All this fun can still happen with microgroove barrels.
But the next step is cast bullets and here the microgroove kinda sucks. Guys do play games with diameter and hardness and claim they can make it work. But the Ballard rifling make it easy.

The smaller (212 gr.) bullets work pretty well in my microgroovers .and I have run up to about 1800 fps. The bigger one is for my .358 Win.

Large animal hunters shoot them as is but the down load brings all kind of fun and versatility to the table. As luck would have it 444 Marlin shares the same relationship with pistol bullets and make a dandy extension for a 44 mag lever gun. Just saying.95876yt

Hey Bill ,by the way . If you run into a brick wall finding affordable factory ammo (It can be elusive) get in touch . I have a healthy stash old stock Remington and can get ya set up.:D
Thanks Al, that's great info about using .357 handgun bullets........my thinking hadn't even gone that far yet. I got 4 boxes of factory ammo with the gun and as you know, there's a few guys doing the AZ Gun Show circuit that always have hard to find stuff for sale. My "Gun Buddy" (Chuck) bought a Dillon press setup and he's probably going to embarrass me into setting up the old Rock Crusher and re-starting my old interest in loading ammo, so your bullet info is appropriate.

On the other hand, it remains to be seen how long this Marlin will remain in my stable.............I've been seriously reducing my stable count. Age is catching up with me and I have no heirs.........this past year of multiple surgeries and health issues have caused me to acknowledge life's mortality. Please don't get me wrong, I still derive great pleasure playing with & collectable firearms......I almost always come home from gun shows with something different to go into my stable. However just as frequently, there will be two or three that leave the stable too. In other words, the overall stable size is seriously decreasing.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Nice find! Here in Pa the Marlin in 35 Remington was a classic combo for both black bears and whitetails, much like the 30-30 model 94 Winnie and the 300 Savage 99. There were always way more 30-30 Marlins than the 35 Rem offering and any hunter with the latter was always envied by the rest of the crew. When I was a young nimrod I hunted with a fellow that had a short barreled 336 in 35 Rem with a 1.5X scope. He claimed it was very handy for making drives through thick laurel. I didn't doubt him.

John

1 - 20 of 22 Posts