Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When the subject of Marlin .22s comes up, most folks think about the lever-action 39A or one of the autoloaders. The M-38 was their answer to the popularity of pump or slide-action .22s offered by Remington, Winchester, Stevens, and others. This one is from ~1920 and was my introduction into the wonderful and dangerous world of the .22LR!

The Marlin M-38 came with a stylishly-carved pistol grip stock

They even had the Marlin bullseye trademark back then.

Show us your Marlin .22s!

xtm

·
Administrator
8,113 Posts
I wish I had one to show!
But, that's sure a nice one you have.. thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
124 Posts
It's not as old as yours, my Dad gave me this model 81DL in 1966.
A pawn shop near me has a 25 rimfire pump.
Bob

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was hoping that someone would post a photo of a Marlin bolt-action .22! They were overshadowed by the levers and autoloaders. One of my childhood buddies had one similar to yours, but with a clip-type magazine instead of the tube. I never admitted this to him, but it was definitely more accurate than my slide-action.

The .25RF is probably a M-27 Marlin if it has a square bolt and cut-out in the receiver like their original lever-actions. The M-27 was made to compete with the Colt Lightning pump rifle and was most commonly chambered in some of the same centerfire pistol cartridges like .25-20, .32-20, etc.

They were beautiful rifles partially designed by E.A. Hepburn of Remington fame, and were only made for a few years in the 1910-1920 era. Too bad it's not chambered for one of the centerfire cartridges!

xtm

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
xtm: Your Marlin 38 is really neat looking. I've always been a Marlin man. I have a Winchester or two, but Marlins have always called my name. The first firearm I purchased with my own hard earned cash was a Marlin 1894 .357 which I still have.

My dad had a factory birdseye maple Winchester .22 pump with the exposed hammer (I think it was a Model 62). I loved that old gun, but it was just too valuable to shoot so my dad sold it.

I always wanted a .22 exposed hammer pump of my own. Since I was a Marlin guy, I read up on them in Brophy's book. I would have bought at decent condition Marlin pump, but I really wanted the last exposed hammer version they made, the Model 37 takedown in .22 short, long, or long rifle.

I went to the big, fancy local gun show (CADA in St. Charles, IL). My eyes were tuned to the long and slim lines of .22 pumps. I saw tons of Winchesters and many Remingtons. They were all priced very high, into the four digits easily. In the last aisle, on the end, I spotted a table with a Marlin pump .22 displayed for sale. As I approached it looked to be in very good condition. So good as a I got closer that I figured maybe it was redone. Nope. I asked to handle it. The wood was really nice and had terrific grain. The action worked perfectly. I produced my bore light from my pocket and I was thrilled to see the inside of the barrel was bright, shiny, and mint! The price was marked at $325. It still amazes me that the much, much rarer Marlins don't command the prices of the Winchesters or even the Remingtons. This was the only Marlin .22 pump at the entire gun show. I asked the seller if he would take $300 (I know, I know, but we all still try to barter the price down, right?) but he said another guy offered him $300 and he refused it since it was a two day show and it was only Saturday. I took out my $325 and said, "Well, that guy just made a $25 mistake."

The following weekend, my local Cowboy Action Shoot had a .22 side match where the winner would get 50% of the entry fees. We had to shoot 10 Ritz crackers at 50' in the shortest amount of time. I hit all 10 with my new (old) Marlin pump in just over 11 seconds to win. If I remember, I won $60! So in my mind, I only paid $265 for this little .22 pump rifle!

-Steve

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
mm6,

That is a dandy Marlin .22!

I don't believe that I have seen a M-37 that nice ever before! I believe that it was also made on the Hepburn patent.

Notice how the takedown looks to be very similar to the takedown of a M-39.

Thanks for posting those nice photos. :)

xtm

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
My Uncle Phillip was a firearms trader/collector, he actually did very well for himself. His passion was what were refered to as "boys rifles". When he finally moved from Ohio back to Georgia, and only six years before he would be gone, it was such a pleasure to always have him pull out his collection so I could dream. Some of those that have been shown so far I've seen in his collection. My uncle and I are the only two in the family who have the gun passion. I was very upset to find that all his guns were sold off, and none remain in the family. The one I had been promised was an original SW topbreak in 44russian factory nickle 4"bbl still in its original box. Oh well, gotta love your in-laws!

Leighton

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Most older .22s saw hard use - and even abuse. Oftentimes, they were treated only slightly better than garden tools! That's why .22 fans like me get so excited when we see primo examples of rifles that were normally hard-used. We tried to take good care of our firearms, but I have a Rem. M-12 .22 that we kept loaded out in the barn. It was never abused, but just being kept where it was - for instantaneous access - it has absolutely no finish remaining.

"Boys' rifles" like Leighton was referring to were often used daily until they were just flat worn-out. Just look at the sorry condition that you find most of the Stevens Favorites these days! There are plenty of collectors like your Uncle Phillip who have scarfed up so many of the best examples.

mm6,
You need to start a thread on old .22 ammo. I'm impressed with what you've shown so far. I shot up all of my old stuff and threw away the boxes.

xtm

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I knew some 39As were bound to show up, so I didn't post a photo of mine! One of my spinster aunts bought one and gave it to me to use at her place in Eclectic, Alabama. It sat there for decades - unused except for when I came by to visit. Sort of like buying a kid a bicycle and keeping it at someone else's house... ;)

xtm

·
Registered
114 Posts
Beautiful rifles guys. I don't have anything near as old and cool as ya'lls, but I do have a Marlin 22mag rifle that my grandpa gave me. It sure is a good shooting little rifle. It's as accurate as they come, and it came that way right outta the box. It sure has eat its way through some groundhogs around here!

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Great Marlin boltgun!

I'm a big fan of the .22 WMR. Loaded in a rifle, you've got a real varmit gun! Since you can now get .22WMR loaded with decent jacketed bullets instead of the old plated stuff, it's an even better cartridge.

xtm

·
Registered
402 Posts
Does my Marlin "Glenfield" model 60 rate a mention? It has a squirrel embossed on the pistol grip of it's stock! I have out shot my brother's Ruger 10-22 with it many times as we were growing up. Lots of enjoyable shooting with it over the years.

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
m58 said:
Does my Marlin "Glenfield" model 60 rate a mention? It has a squirrel embossed on the pistol grip of it's stock!
Yes, that's what I'm talking about - great Marlin .22s! Post a photo of that squirrel.

xtm

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
All nice guns posted so far. Yes the model 60 counts. I have one and a model 99. I like the model 99 over the 60. However it's the same basic gun.

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Jim,

Great walnut on that M-99! They were only made for a couple of years in the late '50s - early '60s, I think. Then they went to birch wood for the stock.

xtm

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
xtm
These model 99's are all pretty nice. You are correct about Marlin only made these for a few years. If I recall (1959-1961)they were only made for 3 or 4 years. Late 50's to early 60's.Then the model 60 came along.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts