Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I spotted a Marlin 1936 carbine in .30-30 yesterday. I was not entirely sure if it was an early or later 1936 (trying to remember the profile of the stock). The gun was in good condition, no extra holes drilled, there was no checkering on the stock, there was still a bit of case coloring left on the receiver. Is it something that is worth $500?

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
David,

Much depends upon the amount of Color Hardening left on the frame, and how well the Carbine presents beyond that.

Any and I mean ANY alteration screws the value of the gun. Watch for sanded wood and replaced sights.

I can tell you that Marlin 1936's do not sell as well as Winchesters from the same era, but then again any good, correct, unaltered Color Hardenend Winchester '92 or '94 (these are pretty rare) will bring 4 times that. Winchester generally didn't color harden frames after 1907. Marlin however, carried this finish / process much later.

If you like the gun and the $500 is replacable, it may not be a bad deal if you're looking for an investment. At least this gun is in .30-30. The .32 Specials are a real dog....

One thing I can tell you though is that the only thing rarer than a Collectible Marlin is a Marlin Collector with money.

Good Luck.

Nice Brookie this morning by the way.... I wonder if you're fishing up around my old stomping grounds of the Eastern Adirondacks.....

Good Luck with that Marlin.

Drew

·
Registered
18 Posts
One thing I can tell you though is that the only thing rarer than a Collectible Marlin is a Marlin Collector with money.

Now that is funny. I like old marlins, and would particularly like a 1936. $500 doesn't sound like a lot for a nice 30-30, even as a shooter with a little panache.

·
Registered
10,918 Posts
even as a shooter with a little panache
I wondered what my shooters had, in addition to 'character'

1 - 4 of 4 Posts