Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Added a .44 Magnum Marlin 1894 Carbine with the Octagon Barrel to the collection. Mine was made in 1972 although most of the information you find says it's a 1973 gun. The gun was only marketed for one year, and not many were made. It is the last of the Marlin Octagon's without the cross bolt safety. Mine is in the 18.5" barrel length. I figure that it pairs up nicely with a very unusual SuperBlackhawk that I own. The two guns have the exact same stock material and you'd think they were made from one piece of wood, even the bluing matches.... :)

giz

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
Re: Marlin 1894 Octogon in .44 Mag.

Good for you Giz!
but where are the pictures?, the snow covered rocks?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Coming soon to a forum, near you ;)

I have to wait til tomorrow....as it is hard to get a good long-gun pic inside with a flash....Rocks, snow, and ice it is.... :mrgreen:

giz

·
Registered
19,830 Posts

That would be a very good addition to anybodies' collection....especially mine!!!! Sorta goes along with my Winchester 94 .30-30. Both are short range "brush guns". It would be easier to handle....then a M-29! :D Bob

·
Administrator
8,112 Posts

Giz,
You're gonna like it!

I don't have one of the octagon barrelled models like you found, but I do have a Marlin 1894 in 44 mag. It's great fun shooting it!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Carl,

Don't know why Marlin did this, as it was well before the Cowboy Action Shooters... There is a bit of urban legend about the Spaghetti Westerns and Sergio Leone looking for this type of gun....and Marlin wanting to compete with Winchester... :)

giz

·
Administrator
8,112 Posts
Giz,
I knew Marlin made a 44 mag 1894 way back when, but I've never seen one.. or even knew anyone who had one.. until now.

That's quite a find!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

The Ruger is a .44 Mag Superblackhawk with a 5.5" Barrel, fluted cylinder, and original style gripframe...

giz

·
Super Moderator
8,958 Posts
Very nice Giz, how did you get them to stay in those clouds? :mrgreen:

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
Very nice pair of firearms!

Palladin had a very similar (original) Marlin-1894 in his saddle scabbard on the TV program. I've wanted one ever since. :lol:

xtm

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Don't have a 44mag one but do have an older 1894C in .357. Its been a great little woods gun, and would do double duty as a HD gun.

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
Hunter said:
Very nice Giz, how did you get them to stay in those clouds? :mrgreen:
"cool" picture but where is the knife now? :mrgreen:
This could get to be fun

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Mike,

Those two guns will end up being working guns. Had that intent in mind. Not much in Maine that they can't do....Spent a good deal of time trying to make up that pair. So the knife(s) that go with them will have to be special. I'm thinking of finding another set of Knives of Alaska perhaps in stag. Like to find a older set in the black sheath style to know that they were truly made up in Alaska, instead of Texas. ;)

giz

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
You will need a big ol' Bowie to go with that setup
But that may be just my line of thinking 'cause I watched "The Alamo" again the other day :D

·
Administrator
8,112 Posts
Giz,
One thing that stands out about yours is the fore arm. Compared to the original on the later guns, your's is very slim and smooth.

That's the one thing that bothered me about mine.. enough so that I took it off and cut it down, a lot! Not very good pictures, but I think you can see how much I took off.. It made a world of difference in the feel. I don't understand why they didn't just copy the size of yours to begin with.

before

after

·
Administrator
8,112 Posts
Hey Giz,
How's your 1894 working out for ya'?

We still don't have a range report..

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Gizamo, you're the only other person I know of that has a Marlin 1894 Octagon .44 Magnum besides me! Brophy's book on Marlin does state is was only made in 1973. Obviously way before the "WARNING: Before shooting gun...." and the nonsensical crossbolt safety.

I bought mine off GunBroker many years ago to fire in Cowboy Action Shooting. My cut down 1894 .44 only held 9 .44 Special rounds so I was at a competitive disadvantage. I saw this mint Octagon and I realized it was exactly what I needed/wanted. No safety (I've seen guys set their newer Marlins down for a stage on their left sides and unintentionally push the safety on) and no "WARNING." It was still less than a new Marlin.

I've been using it for years and it has been flawless. I really like alot. Very rare model too. I almost feel guilty shooting it so much as the stock is getting dinged and the blueing is getting worn. But that adds character, right?

-Steve

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Except for the caliber, I consider these to be the last of the 1894's. I'm amazed they do not bring very high money....

giz

·
Administrator
8,112 Posts
I consider these to be the last of the 1894's.
Y'all are just mean to all us unfortunates that own the later 1894's.. :lol:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts