Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I inherited this 38 from my Dad. I would really like to know the year or at least the decade it was made. Also if the box I have for it actually came with gun. I know my Dad told me this was not his original 38 it was stolen. So I do not know if the box I found is for the original pistol. Serial # 542571
Really appreciate the help. Thanks

Text Wood Font Furniture Plywood
Technology Electronic device Electronics accessory Electronics Battery
Gun Firearm Revolver Trigger Starting pistol
Finger Nail Material property Technology Hand

·
Premium Member
21,072 Posts
Welcome to the forums from the Wiregrass! I think Kraaaken dropped a digit. More like 1964-65. Look on the bottom of the box for a serial number. S&W wrote them there with pencil or grease pencil. Also, it should be model marked inside the yoke as MOD. 36-?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
there is a marking on bottom of the box in white chalk . It is 214682 . So this box would be for the original 38 ?

·
Premium Member
21,072 Posts
Probably. It is for a Model 36 from around 1960. Much too early for your gun.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That makes sense my Dad would not have thrown the original box away. It really does not matter that the box does not match because I will never sell it. I wanted to find out the approximate year. As you can tell I know nothing about 38 revolvers other than the fact I love this pistol. I have had it for about 2 years and use it as my concealed carry and love to shoot it. I want to get a 38 model 10 6 shot to carry in the woods with me. I know I can buy a new 38 model 10 and I may have to. buy a new one. However, I thought it would be kind of neat to buy a 38 model 10 of the same decade as the model 36.
Thanks for the help

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
There's a lot of older Model 10's out there. Just got to have patience checking out all the local shops and whatever other sources you have in your area. Model 15 would be a good one also, about the same as a Model 10 but with adjustable sites. A good woods gun would be a 4 inch which would also be cheaper than a snub. A sellers market right now but most buyers want plastic semi auto's. Best of luck finding a Model 10, got one here and they are great shooters. This one is late 80's early 90's.

·
Super Moderator
36,025 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

Looks like a nice inheritance from you Dad!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts