Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I'm new to the forum, and own a very unique 1905 Smith, and was wondering if anyone could (Specifically) date this gun for me, The gun has a very unique front sight, that is part of the front barrel, and I haven't seen another like it, but maybe it isn't that unique. Also, I believe it has historical value, (belonged to police Sgt. in Chicago area), and am trying to verify manufacture date...Any help is appreciated. Thank you..

Attachments

·
Premium Member
11,467 Posts
I am going to guess middle to late 1929/early 1930 but this was the depression years and shipments were kind of "not in much order".

Reactions: Curt360

·
Registered
6,557 Posts
^agreed, likely early 1930's. Could not tell you exactly when the trademark shifted from small to large and left to right. The front sight looks like someone took a few file strokes off the front sight. Given the trademark is on the right the sideplate could be polished off if you desire. Any value added would be likely be to a descendant. If I had a week I could relate a horror story about posting a similarly marked gun some years back.

·
Registered
388 Posts
An easy benchmark for dating at least the manufacture: # 600,000 was made sometime in 1929. So the suggestions above are likely in the ballpark. Most likely 1930, as the stocks are already the new medallion style which was introduced that year.

Either this style of engraving was very popular or I have a gun with work by the same "artist". P.B. Green was a Minneapolis police officer, and my gun was shipped there in May 1923. The execution of the letters is very similar. Also an oddity both have in common, putting a period after the last name.

·
Premium Member
10,779 Posts
I believe that the site was the normal standard site on the barrel style your revolver has.

Welcome to the forum.

Reactions: jeepnut

·
Registered
22,136 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Thanks for sharing the pics.:cool:

Reactions: jeepnut

·
Registered
3,969 Posts
Looks like a "Western" front sight. I have one on my 2nd model 44 target. Not standard, but could be ordered.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Looks like a "Western" front sight. I have one on my 2nd model 44 target. Not standard, but could be ordered.
You’ll notice your sight is considerably higher to align with the adjustable rear sight. On the OP’s gun we appear to be looking at a standard integrated half-moon front sight which was simply filed down a bit. That was a pretty common modification, just like half-ramping the sight.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts