Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I had posted this a couple years ago, but we have a lot of new members who may have missed it.
It was 57 degrees today so I decided to make some new targets. I buy rolls of Kraft paper at Wal-Mart for $4.99 a roll. It's in by the office & shipping supplies.
2020-04-24_14-37-13_515.jpg

A roll will do about 20 large targets. I made stencil of a human head & torso with cardboard. I cut the paper 18" wide by the height of the roll. My template is also 18" wide. Lay out the paper with cardboard template on top and spray with cheap rattlecan paint
2020-04-24_15-09-57_690.jpg

1. I also made cardboard templates of the scoring zones. When the paint is dry I lay them out and trace with a wide tip sharpie. My silhouettes are about 15" wide and 25" tall, so pretty much life sized.
2020-04-24_17-50-13_558.jpg

Another one I make used 3 shapes and 5 colors. It's for a drill we do. When shooter is ready your partner yells, " THREAT", which is the signal to draw the gun. As the shooter is drawing his gun, the other person calls out a color (or 2), or he can call out a shape . The shooter tries to hit the color or colors ( or shape) with a controlled pair
2020-04-24_15-24-09_678.jpg

When I first made up this drill it was just the 2 circles & 2 squares. We would call out a color or 2 colors. I recently added the center triangle so now we call colors or shapes. This drill gives you something to think about while drawing since you have to listen for what your target will be right while you are in mid-sized. You also have to be aware of your target before shooting since there are 5 to choose from. Also, when you have only 1 target in front of you, your mind will go through the actions you are going to take to draw and hit that target before you shoot. As a result, most of us draw the gun and bring the sights to eye level without really thinking about where the target is and the gun comes up pretty much on the target and you just have to quickly find tune the sights to hit center. With this drill the gun is on its way up before you know or just as you hear the target called. At first there was frequently a small pause once our sights were at eye level as we searched for our targets. Now we draw, recognize and shoot fairly quick, so I added the center triangle to give us an added degree of difficulty
2020-04-24_17-45-56_328.jpg

·
Registered
27,239 Posts
Good info on making affordable target!:cool:

·
Registered
3,651 Posts
Hey Jonsey, I do the same thing Check out your local Dollar General store. They sometimes have 15 ' rolls of 3' wide, brown Kraft paper for ... $1 a roll! :)
Or you can buy a 140' roll of 35" wide contractor paper at Lowes for around $10. I use them for long distance shooting with my old single shoots BP rifles.
Before that I just used printer paper sheets with hand drawn targets. Can never bring myself to pay good money for targets. Some of the prices I see at gun shows are ridiculous!

John

·
Registered
make mine 45 acp 😎
4,039 Posts
interesting - what background / contrast colors do you think is better in a lower light ?

at my old range it wasnt an issue - but the new range seems much darker to me and I have problem picking up the target bull at the back of the range (25 yds) if it is black.. like all my stick-ons have.. i have wanted to experiment a bit..

I use a white paint front sight and can pick that out - but its the far background that makes it hard..

·
Registered
19,943 Posts
Hey Jonsey, I do the same thing Check out your local Dollar General store. They sometimes have 15 ' rolls of 3' wide, brown Kraft paper for ... $1 a roll! :)
Or you can buy a 140' roll of 35" wide contractor paper at Lowes for around $10. I use them for long distance shooting with my old single shoots BP rifles.
Before that I just used printer paper sheets with hand drawn targets. Can never bring myself to pay good money for targets. Some of the prices I see at gun shows are ridiculous!

John
I use that big roll for also patterning my shotgun loads

Reactions: jonesy814
1 - 7 of 7 Posts