Making My 460 S&W Shoot!

955 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  memtb 
#1 ·
memtb
Registered

Joined Nov 11, 2011
223 Posts
Discussion Starter • #1 40 m ago

Maybe a bit misleading.....it does go “bang” when the hammer is dropped on a loaded cylinder. However, I’ve had a multitude of issues I’m slowly resolving.

I’ve been casting and shooting since the mid 70’s, except for a 25 or so year hiatus! I’ve had this 460 for about 8 years and just did some plinking with it. About 6 months ago, I decided to get serious and develop a good, fast load with my powder coated, home grown, 400 grain cast bullets.

Disappointment doesn’t begin to cover my feelings.

Between inaccuracy....I couldn’t hit a bull elephant in the buttocks at 100 yards, and the powder coated bullets were difficult to fully chamber, without a firm (very firm) push. I also had much lower velocities than expected, while having excessive pressure issues.

This would be a longer novel, if I relayed everything I’ve been experimented with. I’m still experiencing some pressure issues, but got plenty of velocity (1449 fps - 5 shot average). I don’t mind loosing 50 to 100 fps .....if I can retain the group that I got and have realistic pressures! Still have some things to work on but, it appears that the accuracy is getting there.

This afternoon, I sat down at my backyard bench, and managed a 4 shot group @ 3.1” @ 100 yards. I lost one, probably shooter error, which would open the group to 7 1/4”. Though, I’d love to think it was the one round that was about 50 fps slower than the others, as one round printed center of group but 3” above the group! This is with a reflex (red dot) sight! If I could do that with any regularity.....I’d be a happy camper! Maybe even take a big game animal or three next hunting season! memtb

See less See more
#2 ·
Do you resize your bullets after casting, do you quench bullets while casting? I do both no issues with a x frame 500 mate.?

Thewelshm

#3 · (Edited)
Thewelshm,

These where some of my first powder coated, others were 300’s for this handgun, the others were 430’s, cast for my 45-70.

They were quenched at casting, powder coated, then quenched again, gas checked and sized to 0.452”. Just measured the throats, and found them to be 0.4515 (+/-). Bought a Lee 0.451” sizer, which hopefully may reduce the pressure a bit! Next loads will be with the 0.451” bullets, and see where this takes us!

I am going to attempt to seat bullets farther out, to next groove for crimp. However, when crimped in second groove, bullet is too long for cylinder. I can cut case base 0.020”, to facilitate the use of second groove for crimp....that may reduce pressure without hurting velocity dramatically! memtb

#4 ·
Never sent anything other than FMJ's with my 460 in Starline brass with large rifle match primers. .452 Hornady HPFB's or .452 Sierra HPFB's 250 and 300 grain respectively with a good charge of H1000. 3-6 LER scope on mine, Japanese Burris Not the cheap Chinese one. Put a pretty good crimp on them as well with a Lee crimp die and size them with a Hornday die set but no crimp. I also anneal the case mouths as the aggressive crimp causes the necks to crack pretty quick. I have a habit of jumping them (projectiles) to where they are just shy of being proud of the cylinder. The shorter the distance between the projectile and the forcing cone the better accuracy down range and the more propellant I can use without pressure issues. With my XVR long barrel, I'm getting close to 1700 fps MV. Zero extraction issues either. Some get a tad tight but the extractor always pushes them out, just takes a bit more effort.

Had extreme accuracy issues with mine when I bought it and Smith replaced the tube and some internal parts no issue. Was giving me a light strike as well. Good now. Shoots consistent 1" groups at 100 yards if I do my part. I would never put anything on one but a LER scope with adequate prism suspension as the recoil will eat a cheap scope right up.

#5 ·
SidecarFlip, I’m using a Burris Fastfire. I don’t have a lot of heavy bullet, maximum loads downrange under the little Burris....so far it’s done well! It’s not nearly as good as a scope for punching holes @ 100 on paper.....hence, the reason I’m pretty pleased with the group. If I can shoot 3” to 4” groups @ 100 yards with some regularity, I feel pretty good out to 150 yards on game! It should be able to run through an elk from any angle! memtb

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.