Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Slowly buildin' up the equipment to go to the next level in knifemaking. I've already done the surface removal method. But at least I managed to do the annealing, etc. on my own. Sometime this winter you might find me doing a photo series on taking a raw piece of steel and hammer forging it into shape. Each week, I try to add some equipment to the shop, with the intent of turning out a knife...

Fortunately, living in rural Maine is a big plus. There are still forges, anvils, leg vises, etc...available at farm prices. As an example, I scrounged a 5" 125lb leg vise in perfect condition for just $50 Bucks. ;) Good old anvils can still be had for 50-75 cents a pound...if you shop hard. That's versus the 2-3 dollars you pay in the rest of the country. Hoping to buy or build a small forge. Hammers, tongs, and such are readily available here...

Hope to have it all assembled after the next Red Neck Shoot...

giz

·
Super Moderator
35,255 Posts
Good luck with the endeavor, Giz! I really like reading your posts. I check out the BP threads and yours are very informative. That may be my next path...black powder shooting! I have a friend who is into the BPRC(probably got he letters mixed up), it does look like a lot of fun and I did try it. VERY LOUD! LOL :shock: :lol:

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
WendyZXZ said:
Good luck with the endeavor, Giz! I really like reading your posts. I check out the BP threads and yours are very informative. That may be my next path...black powder shooting! I have a friend who is into the BPRC(probably got he letters mixed up), it does look like a lot of fun and I did try it. VERY LOUD! LOL :shock: :lol:

Careful you don't get the bug!!!!

·
Super Moderator
35,255 Posts
Leighton said:
WendyZXZ said:

Careful you don't get the bug!!!!
I know I have enjoyed the shooting I did...ear plugs under the ear muffs! :lol:

I liked that the firearms didn't kick you sharply as much as feel like they are pushing you.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts