Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have used magnum primers sparingly over the years. Now, that seems to be all that is available at my local gunstores ($32/1000). I know you're not "supposed" to use magnum primers unless necessary, like with ball powders or large magnum loads, but I'm down to my last 100 CCI-400 small rifle primers for .222, .22 Hornet, and .218 Bee, all the calibers I'm frequenting moreso than others currently. Question is, can I use mag primers for "normal" loads in these calibers?

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
I think so, depending upon the powders you use and how close you are to maximum.

I know I've done it several times out of necessity and I've still got both eyes, and all my fingers and toes.... :cool:

G

·
0 Posts
I wrote out a very long winded reply and evaporated it. Basically it boils down to knowing your powder and loading. Don't overpush a powder that is nearing a PSi/Cup pressure with a magum primer if a standard rifle primer is in the original mix. Go to the load data and seek it out.

I've done the magnum primer with straight wall cartridges with no ill effect, but your results hinge on you doing the homework on your own, and proving the load to be safe....first...

Where's my lawyer? Cajun should be here to advise me on handing out advice :mrgreen:

Truth be told, go slow, use plenty of caution...look at the data.

giz

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
When I used to reload heavy for USPSA and IDPA, I only used magnum primers in 9mm, 40S&W and 45ACP.

I'd bring the powder charge down a smidge to compensate for it and never had a problem. It was fairly typical for guys to do in these games here. Not sure if it's a common thing, but we all did it.

·
Administrator
8,129 Posts
I've done it before too. Just drop your charge down a little and you should be fine, assuming you're not pushing the upper charge limit.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the posts gents. And Cajun chiming in isn't necessary ;) , as I don't push my loads to max...I'm always between starting and half throttle...too cheap to dump more powder in I guess!! :lol:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts