Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 8 S & W mags for M&P 2.0 compact. I shoot in an action league meaning mandatory mag changes. When my mags hit the floor many times the butt plate comes off sending the components flying. Any thoughts? Fixes?

·
Registered
41 Posts
I don't shoot like this so don't know the standards - can you catch the mag instead of letting it fall to the floor? Does everyone else let the mags drop like that?

·
Super Moderator
32,513 Posts
Welcome to the forum! I would catch them, anything dropping that distance to the floor can become damaged.

·
Registered
313 Posts
No, that’s indicative of a problem, one actually does not intentionally catch their mags in an IDPA match except if rounds remain in the mag, then you have to hang on to it.
An empty mag should be able to be dropped by hitting the mag release and the mag “should“ drop free. Attempting to “catch it” under normal match circumstances would add tons of time.
Conversely, dropping a loaded mag, even if only one or two rounds remain, is considered a penalty (instead of shoving it in a pocket or pouch). Dropping a fully or mostly full mag would also be much harder on the mag.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I've not done an IDPA match on a hard floor, mine are outdoors. I don't know if mags are supposed to withstand that, but seems like it sure would be hard on them.

·
Registered
12,467 Posts
Either add rubber bumpers or catch them as they drop.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Rubber base plate bumpers glued on over the factory base plate might help (leave a hole to access the disassembly stud on the internal plate)
No serious IDPA competitor “catches the empty mag”, so despite the solutions being offered by non shooters here, that’s not your path to success...

·
Registered
790 Posts
I don't know about S&W magazines, but I spent a lot of years dropping Glock magazines on cement, gravel, grass, etc. Not one ever got damaged in any way, and between hubby and me, only one time did a base plate ever pop off and that was an after market one:

It happened at a gathering at a motel restaurant! Suddenly hubby got up from the table, holding his hip/back and headed for the bathroom. Fortunately he was wearing a sweater and was able to grab it in the right place to keep live rounds from "dripping out" on the way to the bathroom!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts