Smith And Wesson Forums banner

Made a Great Score! High Standard Victor

3K views 24 replies 13 participants last post by  dcarey 
#1 ·
Stopped by my local shop for an appraisal and a gold trigger glint caught my eye...1979 High Standard "The Victor"
98%condition, original box and paperwork. Guess my Model 41 will be on hold for a while.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Congratulations mate..

Thewelshm

Reactions: Curt360 and jeepnut
#3 ·
OK, so rub it in how you got it for something like $50

#12 ·
Very nice!

The Victor was always my favorite of the classic .22 target pistols. Probably because it closely mimics the feel of a 1911. I had one in the early 90's... another of the many great guns that 'got away' over the years.

#17 ·
Sweet score indeed. It's a great thing to find something unexpectedly and when the funds are available to purchase it. Enjoy!:cool:

#20 ·
Hey D,

Wow! Those are some sure fine pistols!!

Years of FUN ahead!!

Would try CCI Standard Velocity first....some of the High Standards have a taste for RWS or Eley ammo?? YMMV..

Later, Mark

Reactions: Curt360
#21 ·
CCI ammo seems to be the worst in these guns...Federal and RWS (the most expensive) shoot flawlessly. My CCI ammo is five years old so I just bought another brick of newer ammo
to try out. I'm thinking maybe some spray bullet lube or a quick swipe with Rem-Oil. I'll have some more time at the range next week to find out.

#22 ·
Federal Auto Match is a good choice.

I know a couple of gentlemen that have/had High Standards....most shot best with Eley or RWS... $$!!

The one fellow had a "Space Gun".... and it really liked the priciest "Eley" ammo! Proved it on the Ransom Rest every Spring, when we got ready for the Out Door League (50yd/25yd) :D

A late friend of mine had a pair of Victors, am thinking the "mid grade"? RWS was their "favorite fodder"?? LOL

Have fun!

#24 ·
I am late to the party on this thread but, being the owner of a 107 Victor and 107 Citation, it caught my eye. A bit of research on these pistols will reveal that the H.S. experts suggest using only standard velocity (1070 FPS) ammo in these pistols. The reason is that the use high velocity ammo has caused frame cracks in these old guns. Obviously, the metallurgy of the era of their production wasn’t up to the standards of today. The current wisdom of the High Standard faithful is to use CCI standard velocity as your primary choice. I use several brands but try to stay under 1100 FPS.

#25 ·
It's never too late! I have found the following ammo to work in all of my High Standards
Federal Gold Medal target 40gr.
CCI Standard Velocity 40gr
RWS Target Rifle 40gr
Remington Target 40gr

Of the above, Remington is the dirtiest burning and Federal Target has the "waxiest" lube. A quick swab and a drop of lube fixes both.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.