Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings,

Does anybody have any info on the wisdom of shooting .45 Super ammo from this revolver?

I am having a rough time finding ANY .45ACP ammo, but did stumble across several boxes of .45 Super.

Being the nervous type (and fond of all my fingers & current facial condition) I don't want to find out the hard way.

TIA

:?: :?: :?:

·
Super Moderator
10,855 Posts
I knew nothing of the cartridge before doing a little internet reading. From what can can find, it looks like it has the same outside dimensions as the ACP but is riding a much higher pressure curve. Therefore, I would not think it safe to use in a ACP proofed chamber. The Wikipedia page for the round talks about retrofitting pistols and conversion kits. The 625 may be a different animal, though, in terms of handling the higher pressures.

Hopefully someone else will chime in.

·
Registered
65 Posts
In my younger, dumber, days I fired many rounds of .45 Super in my 625 without ill effect. My thinking at the time was "If an N frame can take .44 Magnum, this stuff souldn't be a problem." That was before I know anything about heat treating and all the other factors that make a 629 different from a 625. I wouldn't do it today.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Clark Custom in LA routinely rechambers 625's for the .460 Rowland cartridge...and the .460 Rowland works at even higher pressure than the .45 Super, so...as I don't think Clark would do anything UNWISE from a LIABILITY standpoint, I'll go out on a limb here and say that, IMHO, .45 Super would be okay in a 625...HTH....mikey357

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the responses. What got me thinking was recalling "the good old days" when Elmer Keith & others settled on the 44 Special round instead of the 45 Colt round to hotrod. IIRC, the major concern was the wall thickness under the bolt cuts. I didn't want to bulge a cylinder, or worse.

I feel safer seeking the counsel of those who have actually done it, over the "opinions" to be found on the net.

:) :) :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts