Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I recently came across my Grandfathers M1917 and the original owners manual for it. He was in WW1 in France and Germany.

Just curious as to the value of the set. The owners manual I found in a foot locker that was his that has many items from WW1.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
14,758 Posts
We need more information. Condition of gun etc. Pictures are a big help. These type of revolvers are very desirable to collectors but much depends on condition.

·
Premium Member
18,890 Posts
welcome01 to the forums from the Wiregrass! The value of the gun, its condition and docs/papers/tools/box plus a link to the owner is called "provenance." Provenance adds value to a collector over and above the actual value of the gun itself. How much depends on who the owner was. IOW, the more prominent the owner, the higher the value. Even if your grandfather was not a prominent man, the S&W Historical Foundation may be able to research him and pull up historical information that can be added to the collection. Any pictures of him in his uniform with the gun are great provenance. Personally, I think the value of the gun with his WWI items have more value to you and your family than to a collector. I would not dispose of any of the WWI items in his collection.

·
Premium Member
4,242 Posts
welcome01to the forums from SE Indiana. What Guy saidkfjdrfirii. We would love to see pics of the old 1917 plus the contents of the foot locker that you have. I have some of my Great Uncle's bring backs from the Great War. Like Guy said...keep them as they are part of your family history. Be safe and God bless. dick.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
You are quite lucky to get his gun and papers.

The serial number should be on the butt, the back of the cylinder, under extractor star, on the yoke (look through a chamber) and on the barrel flat.
If you tell us the serial number, we can give you the approximate ship date.
It should say United States Property on the bottom of the barrel; and U S Army Model 1917 on the butt.
It came with a lanyard loop on the butt.

Market value depends on condition, of course, so please post pictures and describe the bore.

I am also a fan of the 1917 and have been looking for an owners manual.
Is yours the Military field manual or is it from S&W?

·
Premium Member
18,890 Posts
You can look up the month and year of manufacture of 1917s here.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I recently saw a beater 1917 sell for $300. It had about 50% blue left, rough handling marks, with some pitting in the chambers and bore, with replacement grips.
I saw a clean 90% gun sell for $800 a couple of years ago. And it goes up from there in the $1,500-$2,000 range for 99% guns.

Reproduction WWII FM26-36 field manuals are about $15.00 on Amazon.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts