Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just wanted to share a piece of history on an old Smith I inherited from my grandpa.
My grandpa had always told me about this gun and the note that he found hidden within the grips. I recently proved the story to be true and found even more information about the last known soldier to carry the pistol. Along with the note, I found his military ID and Battalion number were written on the inside of the grips. I was able to look both numbers up and found information that would tie the pistol to Germany from 1943-1945 and the soldier that left it behind after he returned from the war and left Oklahoma.

·
Premium Member
19,815 Posts
Welcome to the forums from the Wiregrass! Well, tell us more...and what's the serial number? The grips are very early examples that rapidly transitioned to the later convex top.

Reactions: msharley

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to the forums from the Wiregrass! Well, tell us more...and what's the serial number? The grips are very early examples that rapidly transitioned to the later convex top.
Thank you! The serial number is 23755 making it a 1918 production? Only other facts I have on the gun are that the place my grandpa bought it was 37 miles NW of where the soldier was married. He and his wife moved to the PNW shortly after so I assume he left it behind or sold it along with the note inside on their way out of OK. He was drafted into WWII and having served in Germany at that time I'm sure he wanted nothing to do with the gun. He died in 1974 and has no surviving relatives that would know anything about the gun or about his service to our country.
I wish there was a way to find out more about the gun's pre WWII history. Because the initials or name TED are also carved into the inside of the grips. But the soldier linked to the military ID number's name wasn't Ted. Any suggestions on how to dig deeper into this thing??

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you! The serial number is 23755 making it a 1918 production? Only other facts I have on the gun are that the place my grandpa bought it was 37 miles NW of where the soldier was married. He and his wife moved to the PNW shortly after so I assume he left it behind or sold it along with the note inside on their way out of OK. He was drafted into WWII and having served in Germany at that time I'm sure he wanted nothing to do with the gun. He died in 1974 and has no surviving relatives that would know anything about the gun or about his service to our country.
I wish there was a way to find out more about the gun's pre WWII history. Because the initials or name TED are also carved into the inside of the grips. But the soldier linked to the military ID number's name wasn't Ted. Any suggestions on how to dig deeper into this thing??

·
Premium Member
19,815 Posts
Yes, February 1918. Is the serial number penciled on the back of the right grip panel? I can't make out what's on it from your picture. I would suspect TED is initials or an acronym. But, that's the sum total of my contribution. If you know the owner's division or battalion, you might find something online. It'd be a long shot, IMO.

Reactions: msharley

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, February 1918. Is the serial number penciled on the back of the right grip panel? I can't make out what's on it from your picture. I would suspect TED is initials or an acronym. But, that's the sum total of my contribution. If you know the owner's division or battalion, you might find something online. It'd be a long shot, IMO.
That's his military ID and the battalion number is below. First Quartermaster Battalion 1102, Bad Nauheim Germany. Found a little info on some stuff there but still just at a dead end.
There could be so many more stories behind this gun, pre WWII and from 1945 until the early 80's when my grandpa bought it for a $100 bill in NW Oklahoma.

·
Registered
8,610 Posts
Hey Blade,

Welcome to S&W!

Fine looking piece of AMERICANA!

Wow!

Later, Mark

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Thanks Mark! I'm glad to have it in my collection! Look forward to seeing others and sharing more of my own on here!
Good looking revolver!

The Model 1917 is a favorite of mine. I have a few. Here is one, a Model 1917 built in 1918 for WWI, but some how made it’s way to England and was proofed there for sale.

With hardball, or equivalent handloads, these are decent shooters.

Kevin

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Good looking revolver!

The Model 1917 is a favorite of mine. I have a few. Here is one, a Model 1917 built in 1918 for WWI, but some how made it’s way to England and was proofed there for sale.

View attachment 505239 View attachment 505240

With hardball, or equivalent handloads, these are decent shooters.

Kevin
Thank You! That's an interesting story on yours!

·
Super Moderator
34,231 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

Fine looking M1917!

Reactions: Bladehand1

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
I'm looking at one very similar in condition and age. What current value would the experts around here place on this one?

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Thank You! That's an interesting story on yours!
Mine came with this holster.

Sgt Frederick was a Korean War veteran, stationed in Texas. He possibly bought the revolver there and kept it until he went into a nursing home prior to his death. It is unclear if he used it or was even in possession of this revolver while serving.

Kevin

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Mine came with this holster.

View attachment 505344
View attachment 505345

Sgt Frederick was a Korean War veteran, stationed in Texas. He possibly bought the revolver there and kept it until he went into a nursing home prior to his death. It is unclear if he used it or was even in possession of this revolver while serving.

Kevin
That's Awesome Kevin! Thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
That's Awesome Kevin! Thanks for sharing!
You are welcome. I got the revolver at an auction. No mention of a holster. When I picked it up, there was the holster and marking. I did some research and found an American Legion Post (or VFW) in that town and contacted them. The Sgt had passed on several months prior to my call but I spoke with one of his buddies who served with him and one of his daughters.

It is certain it was a service sidearm, but it is doubtful it was HIS service sidearm.

Kevin

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
You are welcome. I got the revolver at an auction. No mention of a holster. When I picked it up, there was the holster and marking. I did some research and found an American Legion Post (or VFW) in that town and contacted them. The Sgt had passed on several months prior to my call but I spoke with one of his buddies who served with him and one of his daughters.

It is certain it was a service sidearm, but it is doubtful it was HIS service sidearm.

Kevin
The history of firearms like these are what make them so intriguing! Pieces of this country and the soldiers that defended it. They are an honor to own.

·
Registered
121 Posts
A GREAT story!! THANKS FOR SHARING :) I would put a value somewhere North of $680.00 on this, since you ask. Could be Higher, depending on condition of the box etc. At least that is what I might pay if I was looking. JMHO :)

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
Welcome mate if only they could talk.....

thewelshm

1 - 20 of 21 Posts