Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today, I purchased what I believe to be is a M1917 Revolver. It is blued, excellent condition with DA45 on the side of the barrel and three 1900's patent dates on the top of the barrel.
The serial number on the butt of the gun is 24035. The grips are a smooth walnut. No lanyard and no military markings, i.e. U. S. Army......just a simple serial number as explained. It looks exactly like the pix of military model. Was this gun mfg for the commercial market? And can anyone familiar wtih serial numbers give me a date of mfg, please?

Also, while in great asthetic condition, the hammer does not retract in DA mode. The cylinder revolves when squeezing the trigger, but the hammer does not go back.
Obviously, the gun operates in single action mode only.

Would you trust a local gunsmith to fix this gun, or would you return it to Smith?

I assume if fixed by Smith it would double the cost of $300 which I paid for it.

Any help would be appreciated........Rollo

·
Registered
10,918 Posts
First off, welcome to the forum!
S&W will not work on your revolver, it is beyond the age limit {don't feel bad, I am too}. But I think you got it at a good price and the repair cost will still put you on the 'good' side of it price wise {IMHO}

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Rollo,
Let me add my 'welcome', too!
As azmick pointed out, the option of using a local 'smith is the way to go.
The M-1917's are durable and fairly simple to work on, so a qualified gunsmith can probably make an easy job out of correcting that s.a.-only action.
Your gun sounds like it might be a 'commercial' model.
If you can post some pictures, we can be of more help.
Don
welcome01

·
Registered
8 Posts
My guess is that your DA sear has been removed. It costs about $10.00 to correct - check out Numrich Arms for parts - and you'll need the DA sear, DA sear pin and DA sear spring.

On a "how tough is it to fit" scale of 1 to 10, I'd give it a 3 - removing grips is a 1. ;)

You may get lucky and require no fitting at all.

As an aside, I suppose it's possible someone removed the DA sear spring and left the DA sear in place, somehow figured a way to keep it "closed" rather than forward, but unlikely.

As mentioned, if you can't do it yourself a good gunsmith should be able to do it with no problem

·
Registered
9,504 Posts
Welcome: sounds like your getting good mechanical advise. S&W did make commercial models of the 1917.
Serial numbers in a range of 1 to 42000 are supposedly early issue and is in the range of your serial number.
Beyond that, the best I can do is post a picture of my 1917, which is a military model.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Good info above and you'd really have to open it up to find out for certain,could just be "shellacked /varnished" ( stuck ) in place, never know...a good cleaning and soaking would help......
we just got one ourselves this past weekend, it too is a military version, but has the 'wrong' much later ,smooth walnut grips..........

would love to find some ,original, NICE grips to do her 'justice'............ hipnp

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
DKing wrote
is $300 average value for one?
The "average value" for a 1917 is well above that these days. Finding a good shooter grade 1917 for $300 would make most of us on this forum very, very happy! :D Judging from the auctions and shows I've been to over the past year, $450 to $550 is closer to the mark for good shooters. Very good collector grade guns are over $1000. The only one I've seen go for less than $300 was so beat up that the serial number on the bottom of the frame was unreadable. Looked as though someone used it to hammer nails!. Was basically a parts gun but it still sold for $285 at an auction last month.
John
Wow! I didn't realize how old the original post on this thread was! :oops: Oh well, these days I'm happy if I can find my way home from work!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts