Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I got a brand new M&P9 shield in today and while checking operation I noticed something and have a question about it.

With an EMPTY magazine in I am able to pull the slide back and it automatically locks the slide. I then drop the magazine out and pull the slide slightly rewards and the slide lock releases automatically and the slide goes forward. This I assume is normal as with most handguns.

Where it gets odd is if I drop the magazine with the slide forward, Then pull the slide back and lock it manually usually it stays locked when I pull the slide slightly reward again but other times it doesn’t, it acts as if the mag was in when I pulled it back and drops forward. My first thought was I was accidentally disengaging the slide lock but then I did it another 30 times and it intermittently would unlock. Normal? Am I maybe not fully engaging the slide lock? What’s going on here? Should it stay locked or Auto Unlock itself?

Didn’t see anything in the manual about this and this gun has never been fired by me.

·
Registered
15,617 Posts
With no magazine in, you should have to manually engage the slide lock to lock the slide open. Then a slight tug rearward should release it

·
Registered
1 Posts
That’s what I thought, when I do the slight tug reward it doesn’t usually release. It’s also almost impossible most of the time to drop the slide lock with my thumb. Even pushing down on my right thumb with my left thumb it doesn’t budge. Again this is with the mag out, when it’s in I can release it with one thumb no prob, and it locks back every times.
You are not alone.

Earlier this year, I purchased (new) two of the 'Performance Center' Shields with the 4" barrel. Both guns have the same malfunction. I have sent both guns back to S&W for repair -> TWICE. Both still have the same malfunction.

I have isolated the issue to the following condition (1).
  1. If I push up on the slide stop lever 'before' moving the slide to the rearmost position, then the slide will NOT release until I manually apply significant downward force on the slide stop lever.
  2. If I push up on the slide stop lever 'AFTER' moving the slide to the rearmost position, then the slide will release as designed. (A slight rearward movement of the slide allows slide stop lever to release/drop and the slide can move forward closing the action).
Note: Opening the action with an empty magazine (manually or by firing the last cartridge in a magazine) seems to lock the slide in the rearmost position in the proper way (so that it will 'release' with a slight rearward movement of the slide). I don't know if this is always the case as I have not had the pistols in my possession enough to test them properly.

S&W indicated that this last time both pistols had the 'slide stops' replaced.

Any other ideas?

·
Registered
616 Posts
it is a slide lock not a slide release , it is designed to release when pulled back you must be used to 1911's

·
Registered
15,617 Posts
Clearly didn’t read the last sentence in my last post.....nor the rest of my posts. Stay out of the thread if your just going to read the title and assume you know what I’m talking about.
Some attitude for a guy thats only posted here 8 times. You must make friends easily :rolleyes:

·
Registered
15,617 Posts
Friends are for the weak, I’m not here to make friends either. Contrary to the belief of most Americans, Internet acquaintances aren’t the definition of friends. Friends you meet in person, invite to a BBQ or go shooting with...
Whatever, but most of us at least try to be civil

·
Registered
259 Posts
Friends are for the weak, I’m not here to make friends either. Contrary to the belief of most Americans, Internet acquaintances aren’t the definition of friends. Friends you meet in person, invite to a BBQ or go shooting with...
This guy has been pretty rude to a few members. Judging by his answer maybe he should go elsewhere.

·
Premium Member
2,025 Posts
If not banned the ignore feature can be used and non of his post and rude comments will be seen . Apparently RustySnake357 knows nothing of his firearm and the fact the slide lock on the Shield was not designed to be slide release . There are hundreds of threads on several forums on the same subject and with a simple Google search would have found the information needed.

·
Registered
259 Posts
When? Where? Quote it. I have 2 threads duchebag

Again “Jb” I’ve said thousands of times I know it’s a lock, you just don’t read the posts apparently, Seems to be common around here....and I know enough how to use it on fuckfaces like you🤣😂 when your teeth have been knocked into the back of your skull you’ll understand
This guy has to make you laugh:LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:. This is the same guy who posted about how his local cops think he's a law abiding citizen and a good person ( see thread about ccw 2 guns in texas with an AZ permit ). Obviously not the sharpest tool in the shed. We should waste no more time on him. I have to admit, though, it is entertaining to read his drivel.

·
Registered
259 Posts
" When? Where? Quote it. I have 2 threads duchebag "

One more thing Einstein, learn how to spell.

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

·
Premium Member
2,025 Posts
Don't matter the internet Rambo just got banned for using foul language , big tough guy behind the keyboard in his mommas basement. and no you will not knock my teeth out nor anybody else

·
Premium Member
2,025 Posts
Not ruffling feathers one bit and care less what you do ,bad thing the high risk of someone being injured or killed because you have no business having a gun

·
Registered
259 Posts
This guy is an 'anti gun liberals' WET DREAM😂😂😂😂😂

RustySnot, 💩, you are the poster boy for gun confiscation. Probably tried to become a cop but failed the psych exam. You exhibit all the classic signs of Anti Social Personality Disorder. Please keep posting, your ignorance is my bliss.🤣🤣🤣🤣

1 - 14 of 14 Posts