Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at putting a scope on the future M&P15-22. Rifle will be used mostly for plinking/targets & the occasional squirrel hunting. A friend has the Sig Sauer Romeo5 red dot & it seems pretty nice but not sure that's what I want for my setup. What are some other recommendations y'all have? TIA!

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah I'm 2nd guessing the Romeo5, thinking I want a 2-7x? or a 3-9x40... I've got a Leupold VXII 4-12x40 AO on my CZ455 .22 & that scope is awesome & rifle is a tack driver!

What are the differences in a rimfire scope vs. other scope?

· Registered
23,469 Posts
What are the differences in a rimfire scope vs. other scope?
A rimfire optic lacks the internal erector dampening that a regular large caliber scope has because a weenie caliber like .22 has little to no recoil. If I put a 'rimfire' scope on say my .338 Lapua and discharged it one time, it would destroy the internal erector mechanism. The erector mechanism is what aligns the mirrors and prism inside the barrel of the scope. Magnum caliber quality scopes have special dampening springs inside to mitigate the effect of recoil.

· Registered
23,469 Posts
Always like the term 'tack driver'. I don't believe a .22 bullet has the kinetic energy to drive a tack in the first place,

· Super Moderator
19,593 Posts
Rimfire scopes have the reticle sub-tensions set for the bullet drop of a 22LR 40 grain high velocity cartridge. Because of the speed and light weight of the bullet, the rimfire scopes perform better on the light recoiling rifles. And rimfire scopes are generally smaller and lighter than their centerfire relatives to keep the overall weight of the rifle down when one is mounted.

Reactions: Curt360

· Registered
8 Posts
Looking at putting a scope on the future M&P15-22. Rifle will be used mostly for plinking/targets & the occasional squirrel hunting. A friend has the Sig Sauer Romeo5 red dot & it seems pretty nice but not sure that's what I want for my setup. What are some other recommendations y'all have? TIA!
Did you get a 15-22? What scope did you go with? I have a Tacticon Falcon V2 1-4x24 LPVO on mine and like it a lot. I shoot targets at 20, 50, & occasional 100 yards for fun. I have done some "qualification drills" at 20 yards (the targets are scaled to simulate longer ranges, timed and scored for accuracy) with success.

James

· Registered
67 Posts
If I can make a suggestion when mounting a scope on these…

I was chasing some wandering groups with mine until I got an aluminum riser rail. You know, the ones that are a Picatinny rail that clamps onto the upper receiver Picatinny rail to raise the mounting height X amount? I had a suspicion the polymer upper was flexing, so I added a 1/2” riser rail to act as a stiffener. The groups got a little smaller, and better yet, the zero stayed consistent. So maybe my suspicion was correct.

They don’t cost much, so it’s a cheap experiment. Cheaper than some other things I was ready to try.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts