Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was given my dads smith in 38 special but I'm not sure of the model or year. I've tried do some research on it when I found this forum. I'm unable to send pics at present so I will describe as good as possible. The apearance is almost identical to the one that new member DKA posted on april 21-22,2009 under the 38 s&w special ctg. heading. I have the same front sight but I have adjustable rear sights (6" barrel). Grips, I'm sure are not original, they are pachmyr rubber presentation grips. Serial # on butt is 1509xx. Cylinder has same #. There is the #7999 stamped in the cylinder hinge and the #145796 on the barrel flat above the ejector rod.(was barrel changed?) Any help would be great. Thanks, new member, wrightway.

·
Registered
4,452 Posts
Hi wrightway,

The serial Number is on the butt. Under the barrel (unofficial) and also on the cylinder face. Back in the 1970s S&W also added a Serial Number inside the crane (SOMETIMES) Other than a sometimes Serial which has to match the Butt, The vast majority of numbers inside the crane are ASSEMBLY # which the assembler used to keep componants together prior to the Serialization of the gun and final assembly. Assembly numbers are not serial numbers even though If I had a buck for every time that they were recorded as such I might be a rich man. I believe that your barrel has been changed. and I believe that you would have a 1909-1915 model M&P Target 1905 3rd change.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks jimg11 ! Very informative. Being my dads personal carry and given to me, the gun is priceless. But for insurance purposes what might a ballpark value be? (obvious condition is a factor- lets say fair cond. for sake of argument and possibly not matching barrel). I have also fired the gun with some wadcutter ammo that was given to me also(very accurate!) but I would very much like to continue shooting this 38 with a safe ammo considering the age you mentioned. Any recommendations? thanks again, wrightway.

·
Registered
4,452 Posts
Hi wrightway,
With the change of barrel it is a negative as far as collector value but as a shooter it makes no difference. The fact that it was your father's gun the value is far more for you. The value for a 70% shooter would probably be in the $250 range maybe more. To fire it I would use .38 Special wad cutter. Be very careful of pressure as the age of your revolver was before the post WWI heat treatment of the cylinder. NO +P !!!!! I know of like aged revolver that was blown up with 38 Special reloads.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Flip back a few post and look at the photo of my M 1905 Target. I paid 400 a few months ago. I suspect that's the market price for one that's not a collector but a good shooter. My revolver is a factory re-finish. With poor or non factory re-finish would have been about 100 less is my best guess.

Have been getting very good results using wadcutters at about 750 fps, my handloads. Nice old revolvers no sense in pushing them.

Boats

1 - 5 of 5 Posts