Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
guys, I have an old 1905 3rd change '09-'15 in 38 spl. Great shooter but I'm looking for some input on ammo. Considering the age , I was wondering if there are any over the counter low velocity rds or wadcutters out there. I,m not set up to reload just yet but I really love shooting this gun.(it was my Dads). Any help or experience would be great.

·
Super Moderator
10,855 Posts
Any factory loaded wadcutter should serve you well with that old warhorse. If it were me, I would stick with those until I were setup to do my own reloading (which I am :D ) then we can talk other loads.

·
Registered
570 Posts
As I was told,,,,
"Those old revolvers.. they aren't accurate with anything, or worth anything anymore... You need to get one of these new "whiz-bang , all plastic, wonder guns...Then you'll see some good shooting"

I don't know... heres my 1905....and for being "old & outdated" with wadcutters..and a load it likes.... I'll put it up against any wondergun out there..... (and besides I like showing it off )

And yours will probally shoot the same......so any factory wadcutter would work...even the 158 lead roundnose would be ok....just stay away from anything hotter.....

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you gentlmen, I will take your advice. By the way, that is one beautiful piece and I'll take an 'ol smith over a wiz-bang any day! Thanks again, wrightway

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Like the fellows said, wadcutters are a great round to fire if looking for accuracy. I would use any lead bulleted factory round with no fear, but stay away from jacketed stuff and anything that hints it is +P or high rpessure.

I have a 5" M&P and it dotes on wadcutters over 2.8 grains of bullseye.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts