Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I recently joined this site after reading so many posts with good information in them. I am new to AR's and would like to get some guidance from the pros. I have been putting a list together of things I am going to be upgrading very soon to my new AR. Two of those items I am not 100% sure on what to purchase or if its a good idea or not.

1) Stock upgrade. I have been looking at a few but the MAGPUL MOE CARBINE MIL Spec model keeps showing up. Is this a good replacement for the factory model or should I look at other brands or higher ended MAGPUL's?

2) Swapping my charging handle out for one of the BCM gunfighter models. I am not positive if this is a good option or not as I have seen different opinions on it. Can someone give me their thoughts on this and if its worth spending the money on it?

Thanks for your time and help. If you have any upgrade suggestions please feel free to let me know.

·
Registered
23,222 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Why do you want to swap stocks & charging handle? I used mine as is for a while then decided the only thing I really needed was a red dot scope & a rail to mount a light for night use.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the fast post. I have done a lot of reading and asking friends who have AR15's. I have some extra funds to put towards my new AR. I purchased a Vortex Strikefire RED/Green for it already. I know you typically want to use the weapon as is then upgrade the items you feel would make it better. I figured, if I have some extra cash now to put towards these and other upgrades, I should do them now before that money disappears.

Thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
19,461 Posts
2) Swapping my charging handle out for one of the BCM gunfighter models. I am not positive if this is a good option or not as I have seen different opinions on it. Can someone give me their thoughts on this and if its worth spending the money on it?
First off, did you order the free AR catalog from Brownell's yet? If not here's the link to their web interactive catalog.
Brownells

They have so many top quality accessories available thet you'll be amazed. Once you find what you're looking for you can then run down an internet search to get exactly waht you want without too much trouble. BTW, Brownells pricing and customer is some fo the best out there.

Unless you need an ambidextrous charging handle the gunfighter is all bling and little sing! It's a pretty add on that has little use for general AR work. To me the disadvantage is that it's so wide. It takes up a whole bunch of real estate for a part that's not used a whole bunch. I'm a lefty and I still use my original charging handle, even after 4 years of messing with my AR trying to make it suit the need best. It's just as fast as the gunfighter, and it was included with my rifle at no extra charge. It's the same charging handle the military and the LEO's have used for years. Like they say, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."
This AR is yours, and the money you spend the same. You can certainly do as you please, and that's the most imporatnat part of the whole process. Personalizing an AR is truly user controlled and subjective. I recommend that you start by investing in the best sighting system you can afford, and then work on it from there. I eventually added a set of 45 degree offset iron sights on mine (They're awesome). And I set it up with a compact, short tube, AO 3-9x40 scope.
Mine didn't have forearm rails when I got it, so I bought a set of free floating rails, and I really like that as well. Everything else is pretty much stock now.
There's room for a small laser that I have sighted in at 50 yds., and an old Surefire TLR-1 light.

Start with the necessary basics, and build from there. Do a lot of research and reading on a particular product before you buy it, so you can choose the very best of any accessory that you can afford. Try to spend your money just once if at all possible. It'll leave you with more money for the next accessory, or more ammo when it's available.

Good luck in your quest, and most of all enjoy your build. It's really rewarding once you have it set up the way that suits you best.

Regards,
Gearchecker

·
Registered
4,107 Posts
My free advice...(take it for what it's worth:)) Save your money for ammo and shoot it more! Welcome to the forum.:wlogo:

·
Banned
3,435 Posts
Shoot it for awhile and see what you DON'T like about it.
I just built this one a week or so ago.

I put a lightweight barrel on it, a free float, vell ventilated handguard, fold down sights, and a flashlight on it.
The lightweight barrel was for ease of carry, the handguard so it would cool off faster when shooting in the Oklahoma summers, the fold down sights because I like back up sights when a scope or red dot flakes out.
The red dot is on it for shooting at night. If you can't see the sights and can see the target, you still won't hit it. The red dot makes a real difference using that flashlight. We sometimes shoot tracers over a pond at night for grins and giggles (we use glow sticks for targets) and the red dot increases accuracy a great amount.
Now I can put a scope on that rifle and I might. But it will be a low powered variable for shooting hogs and coyotes. I already have an 18" barrel AR set up for that and it has worked great for me.
Don't waste your money buying goodies until you define a mission for the rifle (find something you really like to do with it.)
You can throw a lot of money into really nice accessories that you WON'T use very much.
That red dot is a Bushnell TRS 25, about $85 on Amazon. I have the money to put on a micro Aimpoint, the best you can get. But it ain't gonna be carried into combat, nor am I going to jumping out a Striker, Blackhawk, or LAR with it. So there is no necessity to spend $700 on something I can't justify.
I hope you catch my drift and don't get into the gear chase for ARs. It is too expensive and not worth what you spend.
BTDT.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts